Linear Phase EQ latency on playback

jculp3

Logic's manual recommends that Linear Phase EQ be used for mastering but it doesn't exclude it for using it on a normal track. When using 1024 buffer setting and Plugin Delay Comp set to all, I hear a very noticeable delay on a timing specific track when using the linear Phase eq on playback (NOT recording or using live instr.). Other plugins such as the Multiband Comp (even when stacking 4 inserts in serial) don't do this. So is Linear Phase always going to incur delay EVEN when delay compensation is used?

Logic 9.1.5

1024buffer

Plugin Latency Comp. set to All

OS10.6.8

No, you should not have any track sync issues with Plug-in delay compensation set to all. Meaning the track with that plug-in should not be delayed in relation to the others.

Your project file could have become corrupted. You could test your signal routing in a new empty project factory template, recreating the signal routing used for your linear phase EQ in that new project, and verify that you can make it work without any delay or sync issues between tracks.

If that work, you could rebuild your project by using the selective track import feature from the browser: open a new empty project, locate the original project in the File browser, click "Import" and select all tracks, including global tracks, and all routing and media, and import everything into the new empty project.

David,

What I found through a lot of testing is that my project (thankfully) i think is not corrupted. I tested phase EQ on other channels and had no issues. It is just happening on a particular track. I have an instrument track with Omnisphere and a pretty involved volume gating effect using CC7. There is a transformer macro that I created (with help of Steve H. of macprovideo) that routes this volume information to the actual midi channel strip (instead of the actual instrument track that omnisphere is instantiated on. This makes it easy to automate the multitimbral information right in Logic, but somehow the latency is being caused.

Jeff

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Have the same problem on a track stack that's submixing a (producer) drum kit designer.

Inserting the LP EQ on the track stack incurs the full 52ms latency that should be compensated for.

As for the manual stating that one should use this EQ purely for mastering... that's pretty flawed. Any artifacts resulting from an IIR EQ will make their way to the mastering stage - specifically the phase shift cause by an IIR HPF which ruins your headroom by shifting early harmonic peaks into each other, resulting in more volume but no change in perceived loudness. This will then stress subsequent compressors/limiters/dynamic processes right through to the mastering stage.

Also, if an IIR HPF is used on a snare bottom for instance, it will push the fundamental/harmonics out of phase with the snare top and anything else (Overheads) that it's been phase matched with, so LP EQs are very much mixing tools.