first beat of song always cut off after bounce. HELP!!!

bluesnfire401

Hey all,

I'm new to logic but have experience with Reason and a pretty good sense of these types of programs. I recently created a song in Logic using the MIDI plug-ins (and synced to video for a film score) and i've found that no matter how i bounce it, the first beat or so is always cut off in the resulting bounce, even though it plays fine with just normal playback!!! has anyone else had this problem? any suggestions for a fix? VERY FRUSTRATING!!! thanks a bunch!

David

yes, i did try that and it worked. it just complicates things a bit when i'm giving my film guy SMPTE codes for syncing up my music cues with his film. the bottom line is, i should be able to bounce a song without the inconvenience of the first beat being cut off. what i'm really looking for here is a fix, not a work-around :-) but thanks very much for the suggestion!!!

yes, i did try that and it worked. it just complicates things a bit when i'm giving my film guy SMPTE codes for syncing up my music cues with his film. the bottom line is, i should be able to bounce a song without the inconvenience of the first beat being cut off. what i'm really looking for here is a fix, not a work-around :-) but thanks very much for the suggestion!!!

couldn't you just compensate for that extra bar when giving him the SMPTE code?

While I hear your frustration and this is indeed something that needs fixing please understand that we are not Apple and can't give you fixes, only workarounds.

I always bounce 3 frames before the audio start, and I'm giving "my film guys" just the timecode of the start of the file, and now, with timestamped wav it's even easier - no timecode needed anymore!

It's safer anyway to give the timecode of the start of the file rather than the start of the music as a lot of (film-) music starts fading in and it's hard to pinpoint frame-accurately the start of a piece.

I always bounce 3 frames before the audio start, and I'm giving "my film guys" just the timecode of the start of the file, and now, with timestamped wav it's even easier - no timecode needed anymore!

It's safer anyway to give the timecode of the start of the file rather than the start of the music as a lot of (film-) music starts fading in and it's hard to pinpoint frame-accurately the start of a piece.

Could you please elaborate a bit, I'm not familiar with "timestamped wav files".

Is this built in to the bounced audio when bouncing as a wav?

thanks

Hey all,

I'm new to logic but have experience with Reason and a pretty good sense of these types of programs. I recently created a song in Logic using the MIDI plug-ins (and synced to video for a film score) and i've found that no matter how i bounce it, the first beat or so is always cut off in the resulting bounce, even though it plays fine with just normal playback!!! has anyone else had this problem? any suggestions for a fix? VERY FRUSTRATING!!! thanks a bunch!

David

This may be redundant, but make sure your midi notes are to the "right" of the downbeat and not before it. Nudge them a bit to be sure. If you're using the real time quantizing, then the notes have to be within the selected bounce area...I've had this happen to me and nudging the midi always helped.

Be careful using the plugin delay compensation. It moves some things, but not the movie.

Could you please elaborate a bit, I'm not familiar with "timestamped wav files".

Is this built in to the bounced audio when bouncing as a wav?

thanks

Yes. When you bounce to WAV in Logic (version 7 onwards) it is automatically bounced as a BWAV = Broadcast Wave, which contains the timecode. So if your bounce starts at 09:59:50:00 for example then the file can be reimported to ProTools for example and automatically placed at 09:59:50:00. It works well very for film music for example. The only thing that doesn't work at the moment is bouncing to surround wav in Logic TDM (under DAE).

are you not using a '2-pop' sync tone?

When I bounce out a bunch of either stems or other mixes for my video guys, I always put a sync tone exactly two seconds before my first beat of music, and just give them the timecode of the sync tone.

(I use a 1k tone, 2 frames long). Some people use a longer one..

• 13 years later...

I have the same problem but in a different way. When try to bounce an external midi track onto an audio track, it cuts off the beat. Yes I could start the tracks a few seconds later, but this is a pain when working with whole sequences. I shouldn't have to move all my midi tracks up or down in time in order to record in real time on my audio track. It happens with all my external workstations. Is there a sync time setting for external midi devices to bounce to an audio track. Help! I'm trying to record professional music. This problem definitely throws this goal off.

Korg Krome 88 keys

Korg Kross 2 88 keys

• 9 months later...
I have this same problem, but it is only with one file. I have dozens of other files that work fine. I'm not synching with video or anything, just a simple music demo recording I am bouncing to my phone. I tried moving all the regions a couple seconds later in time but it still starts at the same exact place, and the cursor just keeps landing at the same exact place as before, a second or two into the recording after the bounce if that is a clue. It plays just fine when not bounced. None of the answers here really address the CAUSE of the problem, they are just work arounds, most of which I do not understand. Any new ideas?