mute button blinking [SOLVED]

eltorcal
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi -

I have a project in which the Mute button (in both the Inspector and the Mixer areas) is blinking, and apparently stuck. There are no tracks which are currently muted, though I was using the Mute tool extensively before this happened. The only way to hear any tracks is to solo them.

I have tried about everything I can think of (in other words, clicking all over the place), since this has to be some form of user error. Unfortunately, the situation persists, and the Help menu was not helpful in this case. So here I am, asking someone to please tell me what I have done and what to do about it.

Thanks in advance, ET

I wish there were, buy there are definitely no solo'd tracks. No tracks are hidden right now either.

Reading your reply reminded me that I deleted a couple tracks earlier which may have been solo'd when i deleted them, but I'm not sure. I brought them back into the project from the Audio Bin just to see if this would have any effect, but of course they do not come back solo'd. The mute button remains blinking, and I re-deleted the files from the project. I thought this might have been a result of stressing the hardware (though the project is neither huge nor CPU-intensive), so I closed and re-opened the project, quit Logic, let things rest, etc. But no luck so far.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks, ET

• Solution
eltorcal said:
I wish there were, buy there are definitely no solo'd tracks.

There definitely is, that's what a blinking "M" button indicates: either a soloed track or a soloed channel strip. The problem is you may not be able to see it while looking at the Arrange area or the Mixer in "Arrange" view. Try the "All" view or look at the environment.

However there are easier ways to get rid of it: use the "Solo Off for All" key command (Control-Command-Option-S in the U.S. Preset) or click any channel strip's solo button to solo it, then option-click the same solo button to turn off all solo buttons.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
David Nahmani said:
eltorcal said:
I wish there were, buy there are definitely no solo'd tracks.

There definitely is, that's what a blinking "M" button indicates: either a soloed track or a soloed channel strip. The problem is you may not be able to see it while looking at the Arrange area or the Mixer in "Arrange" view. Try the "All" view or look at the environment.

However there are easier ways to get rid of it: use the "Solo Off for All" key command (Control-Command-Option-S in the U.S. Preset) or click any channel strip's solo button to solo it, then option-click the same solo button to turn off all solo buttons.

Thank you, so freaking much, lol. This was driving me crazy on one of my projects and I couldn't figure it out. Turns out it was a soloed Aux channel from an instrument that I deleted a lonnnng time ago.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I have a related question. I am setting up my Orchestral Template in LPX and am trying to route my audio in such a way that I can compose through the stems. That way when I want to Print I can simply Record enable all Stem Tracks and Bounce.

Here is an example of my routing of one of my virtual instruments:

midi Piccolo Out to ---> Bus 1 PICCOLO AUDIO TRACK (input monitor on) Out to --> Bus 7 HI-WOODS STEM (input monitor on) Out to --> Bus 6  ALL-WOODS STEM Out to --> STEREO OUT

also  (Bus 1 PICCOLO AUDIO Send to ==> Bus 10 WOODS VERB Out to --> Bus 6 ALL-WOODS STEM Out to --> STEREO OUT)  

The problem is how do I Solo individual Instruments while I am working and still have the Solo Exempt on the AUDIO STEMS? 

I discovered I can enable "Solo Exempt" by control clicking on the AUDIO Track's Solo button. SOLO exempting an AUDIO track allows me to hear the corresponding software instrument's audio, but since all of the templates's corresponding AUDIO tracks need to be SOLO exempt, all of the  corresponding Software instruments routed to them will not MUTE when an individual instrument is soloed. The SOLO button on an individual Software Instrument now doesn't have any effect on MUTING the others. Whether its is engaged or not I still hear the audio from the other instruments.  Is there a way to keep the AUDIo TRACK and STEMS SOLO Exempt but still be able to isolate individual Software Instruments while I am composing or soloing an instrument while playing back? Or does anyone have a better way of routing. Thanks for your help

• 3 years later...

YET ANOTHER SOLUTION:

I was having this same problem but none of the solutions above worked. Nothing solo'd!! So I finally scrolled off to the right on my mixer and discovered that the 3 channels with flashing mute buttons were doing so because I had assigned them to a VCA and IT was muted.

So, another possible solution to the flashing mute button problem.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I also had similar to this recently - but it was only on newly created tracks. Create a new audio track and it would come with a flashing mute button and no sound, but the rest of the project was fine. No soloed tracks or channel strips in the arrange/mixer/environment (for only one mute button to be flashing then all other unmuted tracks would have to be soloed, right?)

Not sure what caused it, but the solution was to "Reset Channel Strip" under 'setting' at the top of the mixer.

• 6 months later...

This just happened to me.

1. Make a Folder Track Stack and some tracks within are muted and some are not.

2. Mute the Track Stack - the children tracks that were not previously muted are now blinking M.

If I duplicated one of those tracks and drag it out of the Track Stack, it would also blink whenever the folder stack is muted.

But now it doesn't. That was a bug I guess.

VCAs = folder track stacks apparently.

• 9 months later...
eltorcal said:

I wish there were, buy there are definitely no solo'd tracks. No tracks are hidden right now either.

Reading your reply reminded me that I deleted a couple tracks earlier which may have been solo'd when i deleted them, but I'm not sure. I brought them back into the project from the Audio Bin just to see if this would have any effect, but of course they do not come back solo'd. The mute button remains blinking, and I re-deleted the files from the project. I thought this might have been a result of stressing the hardware (though the project is neither huge nor CPU-intensive), so I closed and re-opened the project, quit Logic, let things rest, etc. But no luck so far.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks, ET

WATCH OUT FOR TRACKS IN CLOSED FOLDER STACKS ALSO: I didn't see any solo'd tracks before googling for a solution and landing on this thread. But my bad, as it turns out - my solo'd tracks were hiding in a closed folder stack. There were other unseen flashing muted tracks as well - hiding in other closed folder stacks !! I didn't need the "Solo Off For All" solution, I just opened the closed folder stacks and unsolo'd those tracks - problem solved.

Thanks to all 11-year-ago contributors of this thread for getting me unstuck.

• 4 months later...
On 1/18/2011 at 6:27 AM, David Nahmani said:

this just came up and after looking for answers here I found out how to stop it by holding down the option key and then clicking on the blinking mute button in the arrange window.

just thought I share 

• 1 year later...

Yo! Bringing this back from 2011, lol!

I'm having a similar issue as the OP did then, and I did all the things that were written here that actually solved his problem. In my case, it's this: I'm 100% sure that there are no soloed tracks whatsoever in my session. But, when I solo my Drum Group (Stack), there are always two tracks in this group that start blinking mute. Coincidentally (or not), these 2 tracks were imported from another session. Not the content; I imported only the track with its plugins (both are MIDI drum tracks).

Well...what can possibly be happening in this case, in 2024?

Thanks!!!

10 hours ago, polanoid said:

Have you checked if those two tracks are routed to the stack’s main track’s channel strip inout bus at all? Please share a Mixer screenshot, that usually helps finding the problem.

Yes, both tracks are routed to Bus 12, which is, in this case, the Drum stack's. Regarding dragging the tracks in and out of the stack, yes, I did it before posting here. It didn't solve it.

In the past few hours, right after I posted here, I started working on another Logic session. When I got back to this specific session, the issue is no longer happening. I can freely solo the drum group, and then all tracks — including the pair that I was having the 'mute' problem with — can be played, muted, etc., just like all the other ones inside the stack.

Give me a few more times to finish this mix before we solve this post. If this doesn't happen again in the next few days, I will let you know.

Thanks!