"The document could not be saved." Why?

jackballed

I often get this message in the middle of working. I do not understand how and why it pops up, but it is extremely frustrating because I lose all the work I did since my last save and can do nothing about it.

If anyone has a workaround to when this happens, or even a way to stop this, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks.

logic9.png.dbb6f5552260ee5353b7353df7aaf7a2.png

Check your activity monitor...I get that error when Logic creeps towards it's 4GB limit in Virtual Memory. Even at 3.5 I start getting errors.

I've checked it a few times. My current project is at 1.93GB of virtual mem. If Logic did this constantly, I would definitely think I'm overloading the memory, but it's randomly every once in a while.

Thanks.

Hmm. While I don't have an idea why this specifically happens to your machine - if you're looking for a "workaround", I would suggest that you get in the the good habit of hitting "save" every few minutes no matter what. It has saved my butt so many times I can't adequately explain...

ps ... cmnd-s ... do it now!

;)

i've been getting this with big projects too.

disabling and reactivating the audio engine has also worked for me in the past.

it's such a pain when that error happens.... but also i agree 100% with what slamthecrunk says, pressing cmd+s randomly every so often has also saved my arse on numerous occasions!

Hmm. While I don't have an idea why this specifically happens to your machine - if you're looking for a "workaround", I would suggest that you get in the the good habit of hitting "save" every few minutes no matter what. It has saved my butt so many times I can't adequately explain...

ps ... cmnd-s ... do it now!

;)

I do "command-S" often and more. I usually do a ton of "Save As"es (plural?) hence the "v1.82" in my screen grab. This way I have something to go back to in case of a corrupt file, etc.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Hello there,

Returning after a long sabbatical and setting up Logic X on a 2015 MBP. My last time through I was on Logic 5 through 8 for many years so I can navigate fairly well still.

I followed this post, as well as a couple of others, to refresh myself. I've taken these steps:

1. Created an "alias" folder on the external T7 drive.

2. Brought the alias into the logic folder on my Mac after backing up then deleting the current folder.

3. I tested it. No issues so far there - I can open up and save things and the external drive and logic seem to be communicating just fine.

4. When I am actually in a project however, if I command S I get the dialog "The document (project name) could not be saved."

5. I tried two fixes suggested here - turn off the core audio and turn back on, and also the "consolidate" function. Neither have worked yet.

6. I also tried another suggestion to open the project, do a "save as" in the new folder and then reopen this and try there. I come up with the same issue.

Thanks in advance for any help. I've used your forums from the search side of things many times and it's always a huge help. First time posting here since restarting though.

Sincerely,

Mike

• 1 year later...

Ok so I started having this problem when I switched computers but carried files over from my external hard drive. Long story short...

I copied files from my External Hard Drive to desktop then Unplugged my external hard drive where the source of the file originated from and now it saves fine, I did notice however, that when I plugged my hard drive back in it wouldn't save, started going on about permissions again.

Hope this helps...

Coolie Bwoy

• 2 months later...
For me, the "Cannot Save" seem to happen each time Logic crash and I click the "Reopen" option. When I do that, a terminal window is opened and Logic is started (automatically) from there. It seems as Logic then set the files into read-only mode. Doing a "Save As..." under a new name and then do "Quit Logic" followed by a normal launch enable me to save again.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

FOUND A FIX!! Go to File: Save A Copy As...   Then save with an unique title (i.e Song Title-1) in the same folder as your original session. To make sure you're good, open the new file and your session should be intact with the latest version saved. You can then delete the corrupted file, and rename your copy file with the original name. DONE!