Logic Backups

ADLondon

Hi,

I can't seem to find the saved backups. I know I can open them by going to File/Revert to, and I've seen the files by right-clicking the saved project file within a FOLDER (see screenshot) but that doesn't contain project file backups that I recognise as such...

I also know you should be able to Load a backup from the finder by clicking on a project file and clicking 'Load Backup' but that just dings at me.

I'd like the see the history of the backups in a folder (and not just from the file revert option) so can someone tell me where to look for them? I've spent ages looking and also searching on here, but can't find this.

Many thanks.

Oops sorry - forgot the screenshot:

main_full.png.9841d3c53660cdebe75172774df6c46e.png

Edited by ADLondon

I can't seem to find the saved backups. I know I can open them by going to File/Revert to, and I've seen the files by right-clicking the saved project file within a FOLDER (see screenshot)

That *is* how they are stored, and how to access them in the Finder, so I'm not sure what else you're trying to achieve?

Ibut that doesn't contain project file backups that I recognise as such...

What are you looking for? Those files *are* backups of the project data.

I also know you should be able to Load a backup from the finder by clicking on a project file and clicking 'Load Backup' but that just dings at me.

Check Fuzz's method above, which *should* work for you.

I'd like the see the history of the backups in a folder (and not just from the file revert option) so can someone tell me where to look for them? I've spent ages looking and also searching on here, but can't find this.

I'm confused - your screenshot shows you've already found them...? Or am I missing something..?

Click on the project in the Finder, then hit the space bar. Now click on Load Backup.

As I said in my post:

So that doesn't work anyway...

1. That *is* how they are stored, and how to access them in the Finder, so I'm not sure what else you're trying to achieve?

What are you looking for? Those files *are* backups of the project data.

2. Check Fuzz's method above, which *should* work for you.

3, I'm confused - your screenshot shows you've already found them...? Or am I missing something..?

Re 2: Nope - as mentioned in my post - though that isn't what I'm trying to do...

Re 1 & 3: They don't look like arrangements? 'plist' and 'project data' aren't Logic arrangement files... I thought I'd see actual project flies I could click to open?

Click on the project in the Finder, then hit the space bar. Now click on Load Backup.

As I said in my post:

So that doesn't work anyway...

You did not mention the space bar, so I had to assume you didn't know.

In any case, this exact procedure works fine here in X.5.1, and if it doesn't at your place it would be helpful to state your OS- and Logic-versions to facilitate narrowing down whether it's actually a bug and in which version(s) precisely.

Re 1 & 3: They don't look like arrangements? 'plist' and 'project data' aren't Logic arrangement files... I thought I'd see actual project flies I could click to open?

The plist and project data files are the files that store your project yes. That's Logic's representation of the project data, and they are stored within the "logicx" container (which is technically in Mac-speak called a "package", basically a fancy folder), along with alternates, history data and some other files.

If you're expecting just to see multiple copies of the "logicx" container for each backup, that's not how Logic works.

You can of course save your own manual backups or copies of the entire project, but be aware that you might be duplicating assets (audio files etc), depending on how you choose to store the project and assets.

Indeed you're not supposed to open the project file package to open your backups that way.

As for the "Load Backup" link in Quick Look in the Finder... it does not work for me either. I suppose it's a bug.

Looks like the only way to open your backups right now is through File > Revert to...

Thanks David for being clear on all that. At least now I know.

And you are running Time Machine all the time, mmmm? You've got an external hard-drive (SSD) to which backups (of everything on your system ...) are automagically happening at least every hour?

Absolutely! I am. Have done for years :wink: I suppose there's always those to go back to... at least they still look like regular logicx files. :lol: