Aux Track Dynamics Parameter [SOLVED]

emjayinla
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

Greetings,

I've been using Aux tracks for what seems like forever and just noticed there's a Dynamics setting in the Region Parameters. It goes from "fixed" to 400%. I can't find any reference to it in the manual (10.6.2) It seems to be defaulted to 400%.

What does this do? I can't seem to figure it out.

Cheers

• Solution

Hang on - an Aux does not have Region parameters. What you see if you have a Track selected that's playing through an Aux (for example if you select a Summing Track Stack) while no Region is selected are the MIDI Defaults, the very same ones that you see if you have an Instrument Track selected while no Region is selected. The MIDI Defaults will be adopted by any new MIDI recording.

So what you're seeing is how incoming MIDI will be modified during its reproduction (in real time while an Aux or Instrument Track is selected and during playback once you have recorded a MIDI Region, where the Region has adopted these same settings.

Specifically, the Dynamics setting affects the MIDI velocity of incoming MIDI notes. Lower values smoothen differences in velocity, high values exaggerate them, 100% leaves them unchanged which is the default setting.

I've been using Aux tracks for what seems like forever and just noticed there's a Dynamics setting in the Region Parameters. It goes from "fixed" to 400%. I can't find any reference to it in the manual (10.6.2)

Here's the reference in the manual (under "Dynamics"): https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/midi-region-parameters-lgcpf7c0d270/10.7/mac/11.0

As Christian explained, the Region inspector shows you the parameters for the selected region, not track. It's possible to have MIDI regions on an Aux track (for example when using summing track stacks or multi-output instruments), but still the Region inspector displays the parameter for whatever region you select - independently of which track the region is on.