Input/output bug when unpacking audio take folder to new tracks.

samxhush

I have been a logic pro user for 9 years and have never come across a bug this severe.

EDIT: Randomly, when I perform an operation around using the take folder all the new tracks will be placed on completely random new tracks. I'm not sure what operation it is.

By random I mean a mix of audio tracks sometimes consisting of a reverb audio track (essentially reverb bus), click audio track which is solo safed, and instruments tracks (yes, software instrument tracks).

On top of this, ALL OTHER TRACKS and buses in my project will have there input/output randomly switched and changed (Including some of the audio effects) and Instrument tracks will be converted to audio tracks and lose all instruments/processes on the track. It is completely bizarre and I have had this happen to now 4 professional songs I've been working on over the past few years. Trouble is, I now can't seem to get back my instruments for the instrument tracks of my current project as I didn't do a new save and the revert save function doesn't take me back far enough.

I need to solve two things:

1. Is there any other way to possible get back the instruments/audio processes on the instrument tracks (Note, the midi regions/midi is still there).

2.Why the .... is this happening?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Computer Specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

APPLE SSD 500GB

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Logic Pro X version: 10.5.1

1750177657_Screenshot2022-01-25at22_07_03.thumb.png.d77a02aa6df2eca83800b96871c546ba.png

Edited by samxhush

You write "the revert save function doesn't take me back far enough", so I assume you did other things as well after Unpack to New Tracks? What makes you think that the issue is caused by the "Unpack" operation itself? The reason I'm asking is: I remember an issue when something like you describe happened when *undoing* the "Unpack" operation. So, could it be that you tried an Undo as well? In that case 1) I'm afraid there's no way to get back your old audio configuration (you may try to import at least parts of it from an older project version, but that may be a lot of work) 2) the bug is fixed in 10.7.2

Hey Polanoid,

You are completely right and I realised after writing the topic that I wasn't actually sure what exactly was causing it, It could very possibly be undoing the unpack operation that's causing it, will edit the forum to make that clearer and update. Will post back if all seems good after that.

• 1 year later...

Sorry this is 2 years late but I've been dealing with this same problem for about 4 years and to no avail at the original onset. I was on the phone with Apple constantly and because it truly is random and therefore (especially at the beginning when I wasn't sure what it was) not exactly reproduce-able on command. 

Anyway I hope you figured out how to deal with this problem. When I use software instruments I usually don't use too many so my method might be really labor intensive otherwise. Obviously it already is. But what I've done and continue to do as it does keep happening, is create a new file and import everything over... sometimes after moving a few key things around first so that the import works effectively, and often after a bunch of editing and deleting of eventually unused tracks. And that last part is because the number of tracks IS the source of the issue as far as I can see.

So, the cause:

I first came across this problem due to my distaste for take folders. I always selected "create new tracks" for overlapping recordings and eventually the click would stop working because of the situation you are describing - worst part about that is the safe solo would end up on a random track and I'd have to go hunting for it.... anyway my solution ended up being using take folders but then upacking them - that worked without error most of the time - but still occasionally when I unpack this bug rears its head, just like you're talking about.  I think there was one other way I got this problem that I can't recall anymore BUT the thing that is common with both, or possibly all 3 ways to get there is quickly adding lots of tracks.

Technically the limit is 1000 tracks. But at some point earlier than that the probabilities increase that the program will freak out. To anthropomorphize Logic, it's like it gets all stressed out and upset that you've done too much too quickly and it lashes out.  

The recent tetris news reminded me of this problem in Logic, as I did a tiny bit of research about the history of it higher tetris levels and the bugs that result . . . 

I'm gonna stop there for at least a to be continued because i'm probably writing to no one here ... lol