Setting bars manually when beat analysis is all wrong? [SOLVED]

jjmmuir
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up the bars in a logic session for a string arrangement that follows a recording. As expected (lacking percussion) the analysis is well off and doesn't take into account the widely differing bar lengths. When I try and manipulate the smart tempo file by setting the downbeats, they won't drag far enough to get the next bar beginning. The fine tuning on hand tends to move everything as well. So I haven't been able to set the tempo of the track and make the bars I need to make the mockup.

I can't help but think there must be a way to set each downbeat as it falls in a given file...not matter how different the lengths....can I do this?

THanks a lot for any help, I'm really out of ideas. :(

Jeremy

When I try and manipulate the smart tempo file by setting the downbeats, they won't drag far enough to get the next bar beginning.

Start by setting the correct time signature, and the project tempo to a ballpark number so you're not completely off timing wise, then you should have smaller adjustments to make to your downbeats in the Smart Tempo editor?

Or follow Christian's link and use Beat Mapping.

Both should work, so don't hesitate to follow up with more questions.

THanks Christian - this is exactly what I need to use. A question though, it's easy bending the start of bars to the 'half blue bar transient' — what about when then is none. The full blue bars I create with a click don't hook back (or forward) to the bar numbers..must be a step I'm missing?

THanks Christian - this is exactly what I need to use. A question though, it's easy bending the start of bars to the 'half blue bar transient' — what about when then is none.

Hold down the Control key, or the Control-Shift key for greater precision.

Sorry David, my results are unreliable at best. Where is the click and which direction is the drag?

Sorry David, my results are unreliable at best. Where is the click and which direction is the drag?

I'm not sure what you mean. You drag the white bar or beat line in either direction (left or right) while holding down the keys I mentioned to position them wherever you want over the waveform even when there's no transient marker to snap to.

Edit: yes just like in Christian's screen capture. :D

Grab the grid marker, pull it down, then while holding it, add ctrl, then add shift. At the right point, let go of the mouse, then let go of the keys. Like this:

map.gif

What a post!

Cheers for the help, you're a legend...I was dragging up not down. I found a workaround in the meantime adjusting individual bars' tempo by sight — but this is kind of better! I'll be using this a lot. Thanks again for excellent support

I'm not sure what you mean. You drag the white bar or beat line in either direction (left or right) while holding down the keys I mentioned to position them wherever you want over the waveform even when there's no transient marker to snap to.

Edit: yes just like in Christian's screen capture. :D

Thanks David, sorted now. All the best.