Reduce Gain on selected region

Craig6973

1770945341_ScreenShot2022-01-20at3_59_04PM.thumb.png.3f4de138a949419dce8ad2cf64b218c8.pngYou could split it at the start and end of the marquee and then adjust the gain in the Inspector.

You could also just automate the volume

(Probably easiest)

When you have a section with the marquee clicking the volume automation should put an automation point at both sides of the marquee selection

Selection-Based Processing (from the Functions menu) is your friend.

That seems a bit convoluted for what can be achieved with a click and a drag ?

Depends on whether you'd like the region to stay intact or not.

Also, if you want to apply the same gain change to different regions, it will actually become a one-click operation (Apply Selection-Based Processing Again).

But of course one can do it as one likes to do. I just wanted to provide another approach.

Also, SBP does not allow for crossfades into and out of the processed part, since there is nothing processed to fade outside the Region boundaries.

What good would a crossfade do in this (gain change) case?

I am sure if LOgic can do this

I use the marquee tool to select a bit of the waveform and on that select section I want to reduce the gain is there a way of doing this just for that selected area only?

Are you familiar with apps like Keyboard Maestro or Better Touch Tool? If so, you can set up custom key commands to change region gain with key commands: viewtopic.php?t=128703

• 9 months later...

1. Show Automation

2. Use the Marquee tool to select the track region

3. Use the Pointer tool to click and drag volume

This will create two automation change points on either side of your selection, i.e. a step function. 

Rather than swapping between the tools using the drop down menu, it's better to hold Command to activate the Marquee tool while the Pointer is active. Hope this helps someone.