New Purchase - Lots of issues [SOLVED]

Chicster
Go to solution Solved by Chicster,

Hi - New to this board, new to Apple (first ever Mac), new to Logic Pro X (long term ProTools user).

I have a new MacBook Pro 2021 with 32Gb RAM running Monterey V12.1 and Logic Pro X 10.7.2.

I use a brand ne Scarlet Solo interface but also have an AXE I/O which I can use. Only the Scarlet is hooked up to Logic.

I bought it all factory installed and have updated the OS and Logic once as per notifications. I have one 3rd party plug-in installed - Amplitude 5 Max. I don't use any other software on the Mac - it was bought solely to run Logic.

I have a few issues that I cannot find answers to on the various help forums so hope that I can get some assistance here.

The main one is with system stability. During playback, and often recording, the system stops with a pop and then jumps forward to a random section of the project. It does not seem to be related to markers or anything and is completely random. In recording mode it rarely jumps forward but stops with a pop and restarts again and then there is a lag in the track. It also pops and crackles quite a bit on playback/record but these are not on the track and don't transfer to MP3. Pretty annoying tho...

Sometimes the system just shuts down in the middle of a session - generally when I am editing regions. Sometimes I get a message to send a report to Apple, sometimes not.

The Amplitude 5 was installed a month after the system arrived and the stability problems pre-date the plug-in being installed.

I have other issues but this would be a great fix as it is getting impossible to rely on the thing to work properly.

Hope someone can help.

Ok - I've only just started so there won't be much in there I guess. Just so I understand tho - what typically would be stored in Preferences? I have a bunch of channel strip settings saved but nothing I can't recreate. I am guessing they might be in there? Anything else I should be aware of?

Hmm...new to Mac so not sure if it is operator error but...

1. Quit Logic Pro.

2. In the Finder, hold down the Option key and choose Go > Library.

3. Select the "com.apple.logic10.plist" file in the Preferences folder and press delete to move it to the trash.

4. Restart your Mac.

At number 2 there is no Go > Library selection...net even a Go. In fact holding the Option key does nothing... all I see is Recent and a few other folders on the left side of the Finder window. Sorry - lifetime of Windows where I know where everything is...

At number 2 there is no Go > Library selection...net even a Go. In fact holding the Option key does nothing... all I see is Recent and a few other folders on the left side of the Finder window. Sorry - lifetime of Windows where I know where everything is...

OOooh I see: when a sentence starts with "Choose" that normally means "in the menus at the top of your screen". So here's what that meant:

Go-Library.png.d24afa196bfb47aa4bc3741b8458798a.png

Well...second project up for editing and it popped and jumped halfway through. Just half a bar backwards and again to no visible marker point or any other visible reason. So that doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. Sorry.

Ugh, sorry to hear.

Ok what if you create a new user account on your Mac, and try to work there, can you replicate this issue?

If not, you may want to run Apple Diagnostics: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Ok - apologies again for my ignorance but I tried both these options for diagnostics and neither worked i.e. diags did not start:

Start Apple Diagnostics

Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon

Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button as your Mac starts up.

Release when you see the startup options window, which includes a gear icon labeled Options.

Press Command (⌘)-D on your keyboard.

Intel processor

Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold the D key on your keyboard as your Mac starts up.

Release when you see a progress bar or you're asked to choose a language.

Is it maybe different in Monterey?

Edited by Chicster

I also turned on the Performance Meter and when there was a pop it showed a little bit of I/O activity as it caught up again. In general that I/O meter sits flat zero after the project loads (unless I do a save or it is autosaving) so it looks like there may be an interrupt being triggered somewhere.

Ok - apologies again for my ignorance but I tried both these options for diagnostics and neither worked i.e. diags did not start:

Ok so you have an Apple silicon chip so you want to follow these ones:

Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button as your Mac starts up.

Release when you see the startup options window, which includes a gear icon labeled Options.

Press Command (⌘)-D on your keyboard.

So make sure:

1. You turn your Mac off.

2. Wait 10 seconds.

3. You turn your Mac on and continue holding down the power button until you see the startup options?

OK - did that and it brought up two icons: Options and Macdisk. I picked Options and it went straight into `recovery options i.e. to restore Monterey or go back to a previous version. Seemed a bit drastic so I bailed out. No sign of any diagnostic tool in there unless I am missing something.

OK - did that and it brought up two icons: Options and Macdisk. I picked Options and it went straight into `recovery options i.e. to restore Monterey or go back to a previous version. Seemed a bit drastic so I bailed out. No sign of any diagnostic tool in there unless I am missing something.

Don't pick Options. When you see the drive(s) and the gear labeled Options, you need to press Command-D to run Apple Diagnostics.

• Solution

Just an update. Got a guy at Apple support who talked me through a bunch of stuff. He set the Logic version so it would run under Rosetta and so far so good! Been using it now for probably 7 hours straight and no pops or glitches. Had one crash with a Report option - but I think that project might be corrupt. All I did was select Mute on on track and it dropped out completely. I was also getting frequent messages that a plug-in was causing the system to be unstable before this - but they have now gone with the Rosetta option too.

Hopefully if anyone else has a new installation like this they can try that option and it will help.

Just an update. Got a guy at Apple support who talked me through a bunch of stuff. He set the Logic version so it would run under Rosetta and so far so good! Been using it now for probably 7 hours straight and no pops or glitches.

Alright! Good to hear. :) Then that points to a 3rd party plug-in that is not compatible with M1 (M1 Compatible Audio Plugins).

The only 3rd party plug-in I use is Amplitude 5 Max and it was bought a month after I got the new system so is brand new. The Apple guy was much more interested in the Scarlet Solo tbh. Anyways...progress! I'll log a few other weird things and see if anyone can give me pointers...

Thank you for letting us know! :)

The only 3rd party plug-in I use is Amplitude 5 Max and it was bought a month after I got the new system so is brand new.

Only one non compatible plug-in is enough, and that one is not compatible, as per the list I just linked to where that plug-in is listed in the "Rosetta" list. So nothing weird about what you're experiencing: it all makes sense!

Definitely do start new topics for any other weird behaviors you're experiencing.