Logic sound not working while screen/sound sharing through Zoom

gmb

Hey there,

Just came off a session online via Zoom where my student was sharing her screen & sound.

No sound came through, even though we changed the audio preferences to Zoom Device.

We tried restarting a few times without luck.

Any other trouble shoot I can try?

Many thanks

I think that Logic's audio output has to be routed to Zoom audio input.

That could be achieved using a dedicated software (such as Soundflower, Blackhole or Loopback) that acts as connector between Logic and Zoom.

Depending of your vocal/other capture system configuration, you might need to create an aggregate in AMS, which aggregate you will use as an Output Device (in Logic Audio/Devices Preferences) and as an input in Zoom.

Thanks for getting back both!

So I personally use soundflower/blackhole/etc when I do screen recordings for my students, however during live sessions, normally it works fine with sharing sound via zoom, then changing the audio preferences directly in Logic to ZoomAudioDevice in the output.

I don't actually need the live sound, but I need the playback in Logic if that makes sense?

I've never had any problems with my students sharing their sound in Logic via zoom before.

Does this answer your question David?

I really appreciate you helping.

It does yes indeed.

SoundFlower: I personally use Loopback because SoundFlower hasn't worked on my Mac for a while now, I don't remember exactly when it stopped working but at least 2 years ago. I'm not sure if others can make it work with newer versions of MacOS or how they make it work, I've tried to troubleshoot it rather thoroughly before gave up and moved on, after years of being very happy with it (it was so simple to use and worked reliably until with one MacOS update it just stopped working).

Blackhole: I've never used it so I can't comment.

Loopback: That's what I use now. I create a pass through device in Loopback and turn it on. Then in Logic audio preferences I set the Loopback device as an output device. In Zoom I set the Loopback as the Microphone. Done.

For more complex setup for example if I want to talk while Logic is playing, I create more complex Loopback devices that mix all the sources I want.

21308420_Loopbackdevices.thumb.png.1dc2b3545c130a3b530362e1cf7f0e17.png

1336119385_Logicpreferences.png.66177c759067878d8178d19a8f36f518.png

1185029467_Zoompreferences.png.131100a80a7ec89fa99144016796cfa1.png

I only need it for playback, so surely output only?

I'm not sure what you mean by "output only"?

What I described is how you set up the Mac that plays a Logic project so that the Zoom user on the other end can hear that project. If both your student and you need the other to hear their projects then both Macs should be set up that way.

So how I've set things up now with my students, which has been working is purely changing the system preferences > audio > Zoom Device Audio, without any external app like Blackhole/Soundflower/Etc.

It's been working perfectly, even today, it was solely yesterday it didn't work for one specific student.

Could it be that this student do not have "System Setting" chosen as output device in Logics audio preferences ? There are also audio interfaces named Zoom, could it be that this student uses one of these, and confused the interface with the app ? Wild guess here though, as I've never used Zoom myself... :D

So how I've set things up now with my students, which has been working is purely changing the system preferences > audio > Zoom Device Audio, without any external app like Blackhole/Soundflower/Etc.

I wonder what this "Zoom Device Audio" choice represents? On my Mac, I have never seen "Zoom Device Audio" as a choice in my audio system preferences, even if I'm using Zoom, which makes me wonder if this isn't a virtual device you've created with one of those 3rd party apps?