Updating OS from Catalina to Monterey

kellyd617
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi,

I'm thinking of updating my OS from Catalina to Monterey so that I can get the most up to date version of Logic. Is this a bad idea and should I just stick with Catalina? I'm worried about it slowing down my machine like what happens when you update the iPhone OS and any bugs etc..

Any input would be much appreciated!

Use Time Machine to back up your system first. That way if Monterey causes any issues you can revert to Catalina again. Also, I would update only one thing at a time. So I would update the OS first and check it out for a day or two to make sure that everything is stable and works as expected. If you are happy with that then update Logic. HTH

Alan.

there's no one answer for this question; going from any version of mac OS to another. a lot depends on your hardware, your 3rd-party plugins... and the logic gods. plus some randomness.

make sure your plugins are up-to-date. back up everything (as suggested). but i'd try logic immediately... if that's the 'important' app, i'd want to know right away if things are going to be ok...

I've had no problems using Monterey on my 2015 iMac, so unless you have specific 3rd party plug-ins that are incompatible with Monterey there's no reason to believe it would slow down your Mac.

Note that if you're still unsure, what you can do is get an external SSD such as a Samsung T7 for example, and install Monterey on that drive: now when you start your MacBook you can choose to start it from the internal drive (and use your current MacOS system) or from the external SSD (and use the new Monterey system).

Once you've tested it for a few weeks and are happy that Monterey works fine you can install it on your internal drive and use the external SSD as a backup drive.

Use Time Machine to back up your system first. That way if Monterey causes any issues you can revert to Catalina again. Also, I would update only one thing at a time. So I would update the OS first and check it out for a day or two to make sure that everything is stable and works as expected. If you are happy with that then update Logic. HTH

Alan.

Thanks Alan

there's no one answer for this question; going from any version of mac OS to another. a lot depends on your hardware, your 3rd-party plugins... and the logic gods. plus some randomness.

make sure your plugins are up-to-date. back up everything (as suggested). but i'd try logic immediately... if that's the 'important' app, i'd want to know right away if things are going to be ok...

Thanks!

I've had no problems using Monterey on my 2015 iMac, so unless you have specific 3rd party plug-ins that are incompatible with Monterey there's no reason to believe it would slow down your Mac.

Note that if you're still unsure, what you can do is get an external SSD such as a Samsung T7 for example, and install Monterey on that drive: now when you start your MacBook you can choose to start it from the internal drive (and use your current MacOS system) or from the external SSD (and use the new Monterey system).

Once you've tested it for a few weeks and are happy that Monterey works fine you can install it on your internal drive and use the external SSD as a backup drive.

That's a great idea I'll be sure to try that, thanks David. Does the drive have to be empty in order to do this? I actually have a Samsung T7 already.

• Solution
That's a great idea I'll be sure to try that, thanks David. Does the drive have to be empty in order to do this? I actually have a Samsung T7 already.

Yes it does have to be empty. Perhaps you can move whatever is on the T7 to your internal MacBook Pro's drive before installing Monterey on it? If it's not too much data that is.