editing busses on channel strip presets during mixing process [SOLVED]

eternalmusical
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I am new to the digital mixing process in general but have developed a number of multitrack compositions working with a combination of logic preset plug ins as well as some external guitar. I notice that with many preset plug- ins Logic sets default sends and busses (eg. Bus 6, Bus 11) for some of the effects and not others which convolutes things in the mix window. I want to keep the mix as simple as possible. Does it make more sense to remove preset sends/busses and route each track with all its effects/plug ins directly to stereo out to simplify the mixing process? If so, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

• Solution

Normally when Logic uses bus sends it's because it's for Reverb types of effects, and often Reverbs are used that way so that you can send multiple channels to the same reverb (for example all your vocals, guitars and synths) so that you place them in the same virtual room.

However it makes little sense using sends to different busses for every single channel, that each have their own reverbs.

In that case what you can do is use patch merging (click the action menu at the bottom left in the Library, and deselect "Sends") to load your presets without any bus sends, and then send to your own reverb if you've set one up on an Aux channel strip.

I hope that made sense? Let me know if this needs clarification.

Thanks for the quick reply David. I think I've done what you suggested but not sure with the intended results. Starting with a glass marimba software patch, I clicked the action menu in the library which gives me the option “merge following when loading patch” with the options of midi effects, instruments, audio effects, sends. I deselected “sends” as you suggested and saved this which creates a new User Patch Folder containing an alternate glass marimba preset/instrument. However the new patch also loads defaults sends for to Bus 2 and 4 and bus tracks in the mixer for space designer reverb and EQ. Am I missing something?

1056332748_ScreenShot2022-01-20at8_23_34PM.thumb.png.23a5f5d520b1e78961316953f8dcd3f0.png

That did the trick. Is there any way in Logic to set this up as a default when loading patches or does it need to be done manually each time? Also, once a project with a number of tracks has been created is there a way to apply this globally to a project or is it necessary to go and change everything track by track. Thanks again.