Automation data causes detrimental CPU spikes during Playback, NOT during Recording

Serenade314

I couldn't find a post covering this, so here goes nothing:

I'm on LP 10.6.3 on Catalina. I use the distortion plugin INSTINCT from Inertia Sound Systems in which I automate the GAIN knob.

It's on an audio track and I put it in TOUCH mode to write automation. All fine and dandy. However, once I playback the session and Logic encounters the first data point of the written automation it immediately spikes 2 cores, throws a MIDI sync error at me, and pretty much goes into a crackly death spiral. I doubt it's a CPU issue, since my current "workaround" is to basically mimic the disabled automation curve live while recording audio, and the CPU meter stays low and barely moves at all. It's only once the automation exists as data points and Logic plays through them it throws a tantrum :-(

Has anyone had this issue?

Never seen this issue. If you move the first automation point to another location, can you check that Logic effectively spikes the cores and throws the MIDI Sync error at the new first automation point location?

If you create a new track, insert the same plug-in and create automation on that new track, can you reproduce the same issue?

If you create a new Logic project, only one track, can you reproduce the same issue?

Thanks for your response. I also reached out to Inertia Sound Systems to get their take on it. It might be a plugin specific compatibility issue.

If you move the first automation point to another location, can you check that Logic effectively spikes the cores and throws the MIDI Sync error at the new first automation point location?

Yes, this happens. No matter where I move the first data point, as soon as the playhead passes over it, the CPU meter goes haywire and spikes a few cores, resulting in a Midi Sync error.

If you create a new track, insert the same plug-in and create automation on that new track, can you reproduce the same issue?

Yes, this happens no matter where the plug resides. I also put it on an instrument track, bus, aux... no difference.

If you create a new Logic project, only one track, can you reproduce the same issue?

I did that for Inertia to show the error. I also recorded a video showing the problem in action. which I'd be happy to dm you if you're interested.

Thanks for your response. I also reached out to Inertia Sound Systems to get their take on it. It might be a plugin specific compatibility issue.

Definitely sounds like it after everything we've been troubleshooting here. Please do let us know what you find out? Also don't hesitate to point them to this thread so they see what we've tried already to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks!