Can you record MIDI controller messages without Logic joining up the nodes? [SOLVED]

PatrickL
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

Hi all,

I'm recording some external MIDI controller messages into Logic, but when I listen to the playback it sounds different to when I'm recording.

The problem seems to be that Logic automatically draws lines connecting the automation nodes, smoothing them out. This might be useful in many cases, but in this case I want them to change suddenly instead.

For a second after I stop recording, the automation curve looks like I want it to:

2120389342_Screenshot2022-01-19at00_01_08.thumb.png.89e9d4eb8fee7f99b12e0800e8e21249.png

And a second later, Logic smooths it out:

466767099_Screenshot2022-01-19at00_01_15.thumb.png.0d120891ba32eaa8c9e5e7c901c109c4.png

Is there a way to stop Logic from smoothing out the curve like this?

Thanks in advance.

• Solution
Depending on the Logic version you use (I'm using 10.7.2, don't remember when Apple introduced this feature) you can explicitly switch off interpolation for single automation parameters. Make sure all automation nodes on the lane are selected (e.g. using an option-click on the first node to select all nodes (you may need to add the very first node to the selection using a shift-click) and then a Ctrl-Shift-Option (or Option-Curve-Tool) click on the first line connecting nodes 1 and 2. See attached video.1013788950_SteppedAutomation.thumb.gif.523f247b84113afd6c40ce2af7d94265.gif

Great, thank you polanoid! I was not aware of this option. :shock: Very nice.

Make sure all automation nodes on the lane are selected (e.g. using an option-click on the first node to select all nodes (you may need to add the very first node to the selection using a shift-click)

To select the automation curve you can click the Trim field:

select-automation.gif.6c68bf07f8e2353e870e467e545b3ec1.gif

and then a Ctrl-Shift-Option (or Option-Curve-Tool) click on the first line connecting nodes 1 and 2.

This can be done anywhere within the automation area, but before the last node:

toggle-interpolation.gif.ff3d12a2017f2a4118b635fc3451ecc0.gif