How to assign Logics pitch shift plugin so it will correspond to the pitch bend or modulation wheel on my midi keyboard

maciekrogowiec

Hi guys any chance you could tell me how to make Logics pitch shift plugin to correspond to the pitch bend or modulation wheel on my midi keyboard to make small (cents) pitch changes when recording midi with choir (for example) to make the transition from one note to another more human instead sounding very robotic with fixed (perfect)pitch???

Thank you

I'm not sure I'd use the pitch shift plug-in for that, as that will most likely sound odd? If you want to try it, you can use this to assign your pitchbend or mod wheel to a parameter: https://www.logicprohelp.com/assign-midi-controller-knobs-plugin-logic-pro/

I would probably try to automate the pitchbend after the fact, carefully, at the beginning or end of select notes, making sure its value is back to zero exactly before another note starts (unless you want a pitch drift curve there too of course) to avoid out of tune notes.

If this become cumbersome, consider using two different tracks for different notes so that you can have two consecutive notes on their own separate track.

Assigning Smart Controls as well as Learning Assigments, which are both the same thing with a different GUI, are broken in Logic X.5.1 (work in X.4.4), so beware. Also, I don't think Logic's Pitch Shifter plugin with its rudimentary audio quality is the right tool for that.

Have you explored Flex Pitch's Drift parameter (top left and right corners of a pitch blob), which is designed to let you create fluid transitions ?