Controller assignment focus, hierarchy

hkremer
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I'm finally getting serious about midi control in Logic after using it for many years. I've mapped the knobs on a Keylab 61 controller to a Waves SSL EV2 channel strip. All good. My goal is to have this channel strip on every track and buss and ultimately use a Faderfox or Midi Fighter to control it. But I'm running into issues:

A single knob seems to control anything that's on that track, whether it is in focus or not. It looks like Logic instruments are automatically mapped to the first knob on the Smart Controls no matter what, even if the instrument isn't open. So if I mapped Knob 1 to Comp Ratio on the SSL plugin, it is also affecting, say, the cutoff frequency on the Retro Synth. So it's not what is in focus, but what is on a channel strip, right? If that's the case, I would need a separate controller for anything that shares a channel strip, right?

Reading the Logic manual, it looks like I need to learn Zones and Modes. I don't understand those after having read it over a couple times. It seems to be saying, to my tiny brain, "Use zones to create zones on your controller, for instance, if you have controllers you want to make zones from. Modes allow you to create different modes." So of course I got on YouTube and searched zones and modes Logic Pro controller, but they were all basic stuff.

Can anyone point me to a good resource with good stepwise examples?