Save As... Package VS Folder?

Danny Wyatt

I've always used the FOLDER option, mostly because of how easy (and to my belief, how much more secure) it is to keep saving new .logixc files with different names while I'm working on a song. If something happens to one project file, I always have the other ones as backup.

With a package, that doesn't seem to happen, or at least not the way the folder option does.

When inside a project we have 2 options to revert to an older version:

File > Revert To

or the Alternatives feature

I would like to know what you guys use, why you use it, if you have ever experienced any issues (especially with the Package option), etc.

I'm thinking of using PACKAGE to avoid the annoying behavior when Logic finds duplicates of files and also to make everything cleaner with a single logic file, instead of a folder, then all the folders inside, plus the project file.

I'm a die-hard project folder user here. I like to save multiple project versions inside the same project folder: for example a client sends me "project" and I do a save as "project-mix1" and then mix their project, and then send them the project file. All they have to do is put "project-mix1" inside their project folder and they can hear it. Now they can make some changes and send me "project-mix2", I can make further change, etc... and so on.

Sometimes I'll use packages, for example when I want to make it super easy for someone who may not be an experimented Logic user to have one single file to manage, and not a whole folder. But that's rare.

I'm a die-hard project folder user here. I like to save multiple project versions inside the same project folder: for example a client sends me "project" and I do a save as "project-mix1" and then mix their project, and then send them the project file. All they have to do is put "project-mix1" inside their project folder and they can hear it. Now they can make some changes and send me "project-mix2", I can make further change, etc... and so on.

Sometimes I'll use packages, for example when I want to make it super easy for someone who may not be an experimented Logic user to have one single file to manage, and not a whole folder. But that's rare.

Yeah, I've been a "folder" user myself since I started using Logic and I do the same thing as you do. I keep saving new files and giving them meaningful names (sometimes I have like 40 project files when I finish a new song).

But this thing with the "duplicates" warning and sometimes projects loading files from other places (for example I had Ultrabeat presets loading files from another project, so instead of loading a sample that was a single HiHat hit, it was loading a full HiHat track from a song (like a 20 second audio file with all the hits...) drives me insane sometimes!

Also, I don't really work with clients, so I don't have a problem when it comes to sharing project files. But even if I eventually need to share the project, I can always go and save that Package as a Folder. So instead of being a Folder person and sometimes sharing a Package, I'd do the opposite ;)

But I'm more concerned when it comes to bugs, or corrupt files and all that. If Packages are harder to recover from that kind of issue?

i've saved as a package forever. and (fwiw) you can recover contents (ie audiofiles) by control-clicking on a project (i've only done this if i want to OPTION-drag a file from that folder; NEVER remove anything from a project files contents!).

packages are neat, simple to organize (that matters to me). i never have projects looking for missing audiofiles, they're always right there.

but nice to have options, and we get to use whatever works...for each of us.

you can recover contents (ie audiofiles)

Yeah, audio files are not a big issue, because inside the package we still have the Audio Files folder. I'm more concerned about, for example, the projects themselves. With a Folder, you can just see the projects individually so even if one gets corrupted, you always have the other ones. If a Package file gets corrupted, how will I access all my data? You end up losing projects, audio files, etc... right?

i never have projects looking for missing audiofiles

That's what's making me think about it too... the missing files or duplicate files windows can be super annoying, especially when there's no "Cancel All" button on the duplicate window and if you have 50 files that are duplicates, it's a big pain haha

I'm more concerned about, for example, the projects themselves. With a Folder, you can just see the projects individually so even if one gets corrupted, you always have the other ones. If a Package file gets corrupted, how will I access all my data? You end up losing projects, audio files, etc... right?

I don't understand why you think there's much of a difference? *All* a package is, is a folder, that MacOS treats a little differently in the filesystem, to *show* it as a single file.

You can still go inside the package, just as you can with a folder, and see the individual files inside, including the binary file that contains the project data. The projects and assets are stored identically, whether the container is a regular folder, or the special folder known as a "package".

Nothing is any way different in terms of project corruption, audio files or other assets, that suggests one method is more or less susceptible to this.

you can recover contents (ie audiofiles)

Yeah, audio files are not a big issue, because inside the package we still have the Audio Files folder. I'm more concerned about, for example, the projects themselves. With a Folder, you can just see the projects individually so even if one gets corrupted, you always have the other ones. If a Package file gets corrupted, how will I access all my data? You end up losing projects, audio files, etc... right?

i never have projects looking for missing audiofiles

That's what's making me think about it too... the missing files or duplicate files windows can be super annoying, especially when there's no "Cancel All" button on the duplicate window and if you have 50 files that are duplicates, it's a big pain haha

backups. i back up regularly. if i had a problem with a project (and i have), i can: a, go to the backup file, or b: import everything into a new project.

but as des99 points out, it's just 2 different doors to the same data.

i sometimes do a remix, or an alternate version of a project; so, 2 project files. so, yes, am duplicating all the audio content. i have drive space for that, and prefer working this way. but again, whatever works...