Environment Button Help

Peter Project

Hey Gang.

Something I've struggled with within the logic environment is button states.

Specifically converting a momentary midi signal (CC127+CC0) to a toggle signal (CC127, then CC0, etc)

The simple version is, I have a "momentary" button routed to a "toggle" button. I need the first momentary button to switch the second button on with a click, and off with a click.

So the first midi event of CC127+CC0 turns the toggle button on. then the next midi sequence of CC127+CC0 Turns the toggle button off.

Am I making sense? Is there a simple way to do this?

The set up for all of this, is I work in Logic and bounce to Protools. I've set up a nifty logic environment that allows me to arm tracks and Record arm my Protools system from logic. Protools sends back a simple CC value of 127, when armed and 0 when disarmed which allows me to have a text button telling me that PT is armed or not.

But when I arm the tracks, they send back a momentary signal of 127+0. If I can get this to read like a toggle value of 127, OR 0, then I can set up a text button that will tell me that my tracks are armed or not.

I hope this made SOME sense.

Nerdy. Yes. Pointless. Maybe.

I'm not sure I understand, so let me rephrase:

- to remotely arm the PT tracks from Logic (how exactly? what are you sending? over IAC to PT on the same computer or over a real MIDI interface to another computer?), PT confirms this with val127 for 'armed' and val0 for 'unarmed'

- if you arm PT tracks on PT itself, PT sends val127 followed by val0 to Logic when arming as well as when unarming

Is this the case ?

I'm not sure I understand, so let me rephrase:

- to remotely arm the PT tracks from Logic (how exactly? what are you sending? over IAC to PT on the same computer or over a real MIDI interface to another computer?), PT confirms this with val127 for 'armed' and val0 for 'unarmed'

- if you arm PT tracks on PT itself, PT sends val127 followed by val0 to Logic when arming as well as when unarming

Is this the case ?

hey!

I have PT on a separate system, sending the midi over over an interface.

And yes you are correct. When I TRACK ARM it, either remotely or directly within PT, it sends back a value of 127 followed by 0 when armed, then that again when disarmed.

I'm trying to have a button respond to these dual midi messages so that one set of messages triggers a button in logic into an "On" state, and the second set of messages puts the button into an "off" state.

Since there is no way to tell whether PT signals 'armed' or 'unarmed', there is absolutely no point in processing this signal in Logic to display either state and toggle between these, because it might just as well be the exact opposite. Like, if you saved the Logic project while the display was 'armed' it wlll come up like that the next time you load it and PT may well be unarmed, thus 'unarming' it from Logic will instead arm a track (causing you to unwittingly record over something potentially important), or vice versa (you not recording the take of your life without knowing it) and in any case tears will follow soon thereafter. You would have to look at PT for the true rec status, without exception.

If you can, however, reliably arm a PT track from Logic (with val127) and reliably un-arm it from Logic (with val0) then skip the replies from PT (as they're worthless) and use that data from within Logic to display the record state. Or, better, make use of the fact that PT replied at all, like this:

Arming/unarming a PT track from Logic

1. Sets a Cable Switcher to output 0 which leads to a dead end

2. Sets Text Fader A to "PT NOT RESPONDING"

3. Sets Text Fader B to "Armed"/"Unarmed"

4. Sends arm/unarm to PT

A returning 127/0 message from PT

1. Gets filtered and mapped so 0 is filtered and 127 turns into 1

2. This switches the Cable Switcher to output 1, which is connected to Text Fader A

3. Then triggers a Bang Fader object which causes Text Fader B to resend its value, through the Cable Switcher which forwards this value to Text Fader A, thereby replacing "PT NOT RESPONDING" with either "Armed" or "Unarmed"

You can get really nifty with Text Fader A changing colours between red, green and yellow, according to Rec/Safe/NOT RESPONDING, but let's keep that for another thread.

On another tangent, have you explored the use of an MMC Record Buttons object in the Environment ?