MIDI Note Doubling [SOLVED]

Sessmanner
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

Hi there..

I've been trying to find a solution to this problem for days. After numerous forum threads and separate attempts with both MIDI and USB connections, the problem persists: I hear all notes as doubles on a single soloed External Instrument track.

The External Instrument is a Motif Rack. The only device currently connected via MIDI connection. These two sounds that I hear at the same time have two different behaviors: The one heard relatively late is affected by the changes I made in the External Instrument channel, such as Pan, Volume, plugin, etc. The one heard before is not affected, and the channel is heard in mono, even it's in a stereo track. What I'm trying to achieve is canceling the mono signal and recording the other. But if I point this External Instrument track to a new audio track, I only hear the mono signal that I am trying to eliminate, not the stereo signal I want to record in there.

In my case Logic does not produce duplicates of the notes that also appear in the event list. So this obviously has something to do with Mo-Rack or the nature of the connection. Motif Rack's Utility does not have a Local Off option. Even so, I couldn't find it. Here are my settings in the Utility - MIDI tab:

BasicRcvCh: omni

TransmitCh: 1

DeviceNo: all

MIDI Sync: MIDI

MIDI IN/OUT: USB

ThruPort: 1

Motif's settings as instrument in Logic's MIDI Environment:

MIDI In Port: YAMAHA Motif-R Port 1

MIDI Channel: All

MIDI Out Port: All

MIDI Out Channel: All

The settings of the External Instrument track are as follows:

MIDI In port: YAMAHA Motif-R Port 1

MIDI In Channel: All

MIDI Out Channel: All

Interestingly, this doubling thing somehow got ok during this quest, and I was able to go about my work and record the signal from the Mo-Rack, but I've never been able to figure out how. The next time I opened the project, this problem continued.

I'm almost dazed right now, but I don't want to abandon my dear old Motif. I will be grateful if you can help.

Make sure the audio channel fader(not the Gain knob) is all the way down where your Motif is plugged on your audio interface or you’ll hear it from Logic’s External Inst settings and direct from monitoring your interface’s mixer. One will have the panning and all you set up in Logic, the other will not as you’re hearing it directly from the inputs of your audio interface.

Thanks for all the answers..

Could it be that the Motif is somehow in multi mode and receiving on two "parts" (or however this is called in Yamaha-nese) on the same channel?

Nope, it's in the Voice mode..

Can you detail how any and all devices are connected to your computer and/or between themselves?

I use a NI A61 MIDI controller but it is out of the chain at the moment. The only external device is the Motif Rack which is linked to the computer directly by USB. Its audio is coming via a PreSonus Studio 24c. No MIDI connectors between the interface and the Mo-Rack. I tried the 6-pin connectors without the USB as well, but the result was just the same.

Make sure the audio channel fader(not the Gain knob) is all the way down where your Motif is plugged on your audio interface or you’ll hear it from Logic’s External Inst settings and direct from monitoring your interface’s mixer. One will have the panning and all you set up in Logic, the other will not as you’re hearing it directly from the inputs of your audio interface.

It's just like you said. But when I lower the fader all the way down, it's completely mono, even if it's in a stereo track. So when I manage to convert it to a stereo signal, I guess this will be done.

No doubling in Mo-Rack..

Ok so next step: in Logic's audio preferences, disable software monitoring. Now you're hearing the audio from the Presonus interface. Go into the Presonus settings and turn that off. Then turn software monitoring back on.

Sorry me; by "turn that off" do you mean deactivating the MIDI port of the interface within Logic, or should I do it in the Universal Control? If it's the second, I couldn't figure out how to do it.