Logic Pro x and analog hardware mixing

jbjestergmail.com

Hey all,

I searched for a long time and found no answer to these specific questions so I decided to make this post- I hope its in the right place on this forum.

I recently started integrating an analog hybrid setup with Logic Pro x (10.6.2) and have some questions with my new set up.

Im using a dangerous 2 bus plus for summing, with some hardware eq's/comps/saturators on the 2 bus plus insert, then printing final mixes back into logic.

Also using universal audio interfaces and their console software in concert with logic for tracking as well as going out of logic to hardware (via Apollo 16) then back into logic

(2 bus plus MAIN OUT > dangerous convert AD > AES cable to Apollo x16 > logic. (Using the digital mirror setting in UAD console)

My first quandary is my main issue - so lets say I have a client and we are further along in a project we are working on and we are doing some late stage overdubs of a vocal, and drums bass guitars etc have already been tracked and I have already set up my 2 bus plus routing with some hardware comp eqs etc. - I want to be able to monitor all of that while i'm tracking this new vocal - The dangerous 2 bus plus has a main out and a monitor out - the main out is sent to my AD converter and back into the computer which is what I use when mixing - the monitor out is routed so I can monitor from that analog domain before that AD conversion loop- I want to have me and the talent monitor off that 'monitor out' point on the 2 bus plus while we are tracking this overdub so theres less latency when tracking - I have in logic set up so the vocal track Im recording's outputs are headed to the 2 bus plus inputs, but when I try to record while monitoring off that 'mon out' on the 2 bus plus - I cannot hear that vocal track being recorded. So basically the vocal track being recorded is not passing through logic to the output while coming in to logic. Is there a setting inside logic that allows this incoming recorded signal to be sent out as its coming in so I can hear it in the analog domain? The tech at dangerous audio says he has this setup this way in pro tools no problem, and he insists theres some setting in logic Im missing that will allow this workflow to happen.

My second question is, once I print my final mix- do I have to then export or bounce that? or should I be extracting that audio file from my audio file browser? I spoke to tech support at dangerous and they said I should be looking for a way to just extract the mix and not have to bounce/export as it will effect the audio further. Can anyone clear this up? Is there a way other users out there extract their final analog hardware printed mixes? Or is everyone just exporting that from logic?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Joseph

Hi Joseph, and welcome to Logic Pro Help! Waouw that's a lot of reading there... I'm not sure I got it all right but...

So basically the vocal track being recorded is not passing through logic to the output while coming in to logic. Is there a setting inside logic that allows this incoming recorded signal to be sent out as its coming in so I can hear it in the analog domain?

That sounds like software monitoring is what you're looking for? Here are my suggested settings, then you only have to R-enable a track to hear it along with your other tracks:

1391674819_SoftwareMonitoring.png.c3e834b662231da1f1cce8d18b255766.png

Hey David!

Thanks for the reply! I tried enabling software monitoring but still had no luck, when I turned it on I DID see the signal present on my dangerous 2 bus plus summing amp, so it almost worked! it is passing the signal through, but when I try to monitor from the 2 bus plus's monitor out, everything was delayed and the volume was way down, The drummer in the next room heard the same thing. Is there another possible setting that goes with this that will take care of that issue?

Again thanks for your help I feel like we are so close to cracking this issue!

Hey David!

Thanks for the reply! I tried enabling software monitoring but still had no luck, when I turned it on I DID see the signal present on my dangerous 2 bus plus summing amp, so it almost worked! it is passing the signal through, but when I try to monitor from the 2 bus plus's monitor out, everything was delayed and the volume was way down, The drummer in the next room heard the same thing. Is there another possible setting that goes with this that will take care of that issue?

Again thanks for your help I feel like we are so close to cracking this issue!

Try the low-latency mode, try a smaller I/O Buffer size in Logic's audio preferences. It's common in monitoring chains to have Logic's return sound lower in volume than direct monitoring, you just need to turn the volume up on your headphones amps.

• 2 months later...

Thanks David, sorry for the late reply, I found a workaround in UAD console that I've been using, mirroring the incoming signal in console to outputs in console and its offered me no noticeable latency that I've found, so I've been using that, but I will experiment at some point with your suggestion.

It's not often that I'm overdubbing after I have my analog mix bus chain setup, usually I will try and do all the tracking whilst monitoring ITB then only when mixing I'll set up routing to the analog chain. Every once in a while there's that late stage overdub though...