Logic 10.7.2 is out!

Glenn L.

This time I found my Logic shortcut in the dock didn't work after updating to 10.7.2. - Probably because when I updated I had Logic 10.7.1.app and Logic 10.6.3.app in Applications plus both on the dock.

Simply deleting the shortcut, opening from Applications then putting back it on the dock fixed that.

Wanted to see if the update overwrote 10.7.1 or install a new Logic.app ...well it overwrote the 10.7.1. Cant trust what Apple will do. Always keep a backup on an external and disconnected when I update.

So far I can report Im seeing an improved graphic performance in the Audio File Editor. On 10.7.1 sometimes there were artifacts in the file waveform up the top of the window where a section is hi-lighted and 100% reproducable if I resized the window. I also saw a horizontal black line below the center line appear in the main waveform area depending on the vertical position of the window. That appears to be gone also.

This time I found my Logic shortcut in the dock didn't work after updating to 10.7.2. - Probably because when I updated I had Logic 10.7.1.app and Logic 10.6.3.app in Applications plus both on the dock.

Simply deleting the shortcut, opening from Applications then putting back it on the dock fixed that.

Wanted to see if the update overwrote 10.7.1 or install a new Logic.app ...well it overwrote the 10.7.1. Cant trust what Apple will do. Always keep a backup on an external and disconnected when I update.

So far I can report Im seeing an improved graphic performance in the Audio File Editor. On 10.7.1 sometimes there were artifacts in the file waveform up the top of the window where a section is hi-lighted and 100% reproducable if I resized the window. I also saw a horizontal black line below the center line appear in the main waveform area depending on the vertical position of the window. That appears to be gone also.

point updates are meant to replace the previous-installed version. nothing to do with trusting apple. if you have 10.7.1 and don't want it updated... move the app, or rename it. but the point updates do what they're designed to do: update

@ fisherking - You've missed the point which is nothing to do with "point updates".

i didn't miss anything, i responded to exactly what you wrote...

Like it has always done since, umm, forever?

Of course not everyone knows it yet, because haven’t needed the info, haven’t come across it, or is just otherwise behind, but EVERY SINGLE TIME there’s ANY update, there is a convo on this forum (and other similar) about making a copy one way or another of the app you’re about to update. No hidden magic nor conspiracy about it. Or if you use and trust Time Machine and it’s backing up your Applications folder, you in theory could grab the older version from there, but copying and naming with the x.x.x number is more practical in case you want to go back.

Edited by darudevil

Before issuing the update command, I personally use the method described by David which consist of zipping the current Logic app (right-click on the app and choose compress file), which will actually create an added zip version of the targeted Logic app, leaving the latter as is.

Renaming the zipped file to its own version (i.e. Logic v.10.7.1.zip).

Voilà!

Before issuing the update command, I personally use the method described by David which consist of zipping the current Logic app (right-click on the app and choose compress file), which will actually create an added zip version of the targeted Logic app, leaving the latter as is.

Renaming the zipped file to its own version (i.e. Logic v.10.7.1.zip).

Voilà!

That’s what I do, too.

I copy "Logic Pro X.app" and rename the copy to include the version number, eg: "Logic Pro X 10.5.0.app".

Then update. The App Store updates "Logic Pro X.app" to the latest version and the latest version is always just called "Logic Pro X.app" without version numbers.

This won't affect any dock or other aliases that point to the main Logic app in your applications folder.

And if I want, I can simply run any old versions I'm choosing to keep by running "Logic Pro X 10.5.0.app" (or whichever).

(Yes, I'm aware newer versions don't include the "X" anymore, I'm just illustrating.)

If you're one of those people that copies/moves applications into weird places like the desktop or other areas on disk, then it's up to you to manage which versions you are running, updating, or launching (but seriously, don't do that!)

It's all entirely predictable, as others have mentioned... If anything, the less predictable thing is usually the AppStore behaviour, which can range from fine to inexplicable, seemingly at random...

Question for anyone in the room that owns the Korg NanoKontrol 2: since updating, has anyone had any funky issues with Logic frequently opening the Control Surfaces settings window on its own and reinstalling the device? I use mine in Mackie HUI mode, but it keeps resetting to Korg’s own programming, which does nothing for me. There are a couple other changes to my setup that might somehow be affecting things (though they shouldn’t be), but I figured I’d start by troubleshooting from the program update. Anyone? Just me?

Question for anyone in the room that owns the Korg NanoKontrol 2: since updating, has anyone had any funky issues with Logic frequently opening the Control Surfaces settings window on its own and reinstalling the device? I use mine in Mackie HUI mode, but it keeps resetting to Korg’s own programming, which does nothing for me. There are a couple other changes to my setup that might somehow be affecting things (though they shouldn’t be), but I figured I’d start by troubleshooting from the program update. Anyone? Just me?

So on this front, I've tried connecting my NanoKontrol to different ports (and adapters), and the action is consistent: any time the device gets disconnected and reconnected to Logic, it is automatically reset to NanoKontrol mode instead of HUI mode. Wouldn't be an issue except that it does the same just when the computer goes to sleep. This definitely did not happen for me with 10.7.1, and Logic is the only thing that's been updated recently that would be related to the issue. I'm going to submit a bug report, but I'd love to hear from anyone else having similar problems, or better yet anyone that may know better than me about what's going on if there's a possible fix now.

It's not a bug, it's a feature, Logic will scan for devices at startup, and if they respond to device queries, it will add them as necessary. If you don't want the NanoKontrol scanned on startup, remove or move the Korg kontrol bundle from the app.

That’s the thing, I have. But it’s also not just startup. Any addition/removal of a MIDI controller to the list (for example, simply turning on/off my digital piano), and any time the computer is put to sleep, it resets. I shouldn’t have to manually delete and reinstall the device the way I want it set up under these conditions, and it didn’t used to be an issue.

If that bundle is removed, then Logic won't know what device message queries to output, or respond to. The fact that it is sending and responding to the Korg messages suggests that perhaps you haven't done that, or it's being done from some other module.

I always used to remove the Korg Kontrol bundle for exactly that reason, as I never wanted my Korg microKontrol to to seen in Korg native mode.

If you're sure you've done what you think should work, it might be best to start a dedicated thread for that issue and we can look into what's going on there...

So, I installed the update, this afternoon, against my better judgement. Our church does a Christmas Eve cantata every year, I had had orchestrated 27 pieces of music for it. Imagine that sinking feeling when the very first piece sounded like I’d never mixed starting levels on any instrument. All were at 0dB. The drum tracks were using some name I’d never labeled them, and the track wasn’t even what I played, or where I had played them. The next song was no better, as was the next, as was the next. Does anyone know WHY MIDI files had to be changed? It’s too late, as the production work is canceled, so piano and keyboard strings now has to suffice. I’d just like to know what the heck went wrong. :-(

I recovered my previous version from Time Machine. It was 10.6.3.

It appears that all of my files are intact, although I’ll need to test a few to know. (I’ve already moved keyboards to the church.).

I’m not afraid to try improved software, but this experience will be hard to recover from, for numerous reasons. I’d just like to understand what changed, so I can prevent another “train wreck”.

Thanks for your advice, guys!