Missing audio files in one project alternative

dasdangerbear

Hello All,

Peculiar issue I'm experiencing. I recently tracked some drums, ended up doing about 9 songs. While tracking I usually just use project alternatives to create the next song as a sort of template and keep moving quickly. Well, about the 7th alternative down the audio files are all missing. The regions are still there, but the actual audio files are missing from the audio files folder. It was not the last song recorded, and the regions still have comping data saved from when the song was tracked, So I'm not sure how this could have happened. Nothing was changed as far as drives or save location during the session. I'm going to check the trash can of the computer it was recorded on tomorrow and hopefully they somehow ended up there.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm guessing project alternatives may be to blame, but it's pretty strange.

That means that the audio files are no longer where they were on your hard drive when you last saved that alternative. That could be because while you were working in another alternative you moved the files to a different location or worse, you deleted them.

If the regions are still in tact, then the only methods for deletion/moving are either out of the audio files folder, or in the media browser correct? I wasn't in finder or the media browser at all during the session. Really weird.

If the regions are still in tact, then the only methods for deletion/moving are either out of the audio files folder, or in the media browser correct? I wasn't in finder or the media browser at all during the session. Really weird.

Not necessarily, you can move or delete audio files in multiple ways, for example if there are recent recordings you can delete them from the Tracks view. If you no longer used them in an alternative or another project using the same audio files you may have done some clean up such as select unused and delete or move, or project management > cleanup.