How to avoid conflicting controller assignments

k0d3g3ar

After spending ages working out why some bank control buttons on my SSL UF8 were being recognized by Logic, but not doing anything, I finally found the culprit. I have a Icon Platform Nano transport controller that I bought since the SSL UF8 doesn't have a transport controller on it. And that little guy has a single fader on it, so it has a bank select button for choosing which channel strip the fader is for. That is conflicting with the bank select buttons on the UF8, which I really want to be the dominant one.

I went into the Controller assignment preferences and sure enough, there are the two controllers and both have fader bank left/right assigned to them.

So how do I delete the assignment for the Icon Platform Nano, so that the SSL takes over the dominant ruler of all things bank select? I can't seem to see a way to delete an assignment in Logic...

K

They shouldn’t conflict, each control surface has its own independent fader bank value, and assignments only respond on the MIDI port that controller is sending on.

Note: The control surface icons should be on separate lines (control surface group) in the setup window, not on the same line, to keep them fully independent.

Deleting assignments (though you should not need to do this on dedicated control surfaces) is as simple as selecting the assignment and hitting backspace.

They shouldn’t conflict, each control surface has its own independent fader bank value, and assignments only respond on the MIDI port that controller is sending on.

Note: The control surface icons should be on separate lines (control surface group) in the setup window, not on the same line, to keep them fully independent.

Deleting assignments (though you should not need to do this on dedicated control surfaces) is as simple as selecting the assignment and hitting backspace.

Thank you. That's what I would have thought. But for some reason, the Bank select (left & right) are not doing anything with the UF8, but Logic does recognize them being pressed. I'm told from lots of other UF8 users though that this should work as designed. I will try and force the Icon Platform Nano onto a dedicated Midi channel and see if that makes sense, but I am pretty sure that the devices are conflicting over the bank select function.

K

Hmm, I'm pretty sure they are not conflicting, unless you have manually changed some controller assignments, or either one is doing something weird/non-standard.

To troubleshoot, I'd suggest the following:

- Back up your CS pref files which contain your controller assignments (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs (quit Logic, move this file to your desktop).

- Disconnect the Icon, and install the UF8 so it has nice new default config. Check the bank select function to make sure it works.

- Now connect the Icon and add that, and again check the bank function.

If the bank function in the UF8 immediately stops working after freshly installing the Icon, try removing the Icon again - does the UF8 functionality come back, or does it stay broken?

When you say regarding the UF8 bank select keys: "Logic recognises them as pressed" - how do you know they aren't working? What do you expect to happen, and what is the behaviour you see?

(Make sure you have "control surface bars" visible in the mixer/main window so you can see what channels each control surface are covering.)

Let me know how you get on, and we can further troubleshoot from there by looking at the MIDI messages and assignments directly if necessary...