Logic Has Stopped Outputting Sound HELP!!!

Natchez

Hi. I am a long-time Logic user and I'm absolutely freaking out; I have a deadline on a project and I absolutely can't solve the following issue, feel like I've tried everything.

Short version: Logic just isn't outputting any sound. No matter if it's an audio track or an instrument track, meters will be displaying sound level during playback--both the meter fo the track itself AND the Stereo Output track--but no sound will be playing whatsoever. Interestingly, if I bounce the session, the resulting audio file DOES contain the session's audio, and I can hear it by playing that bounced audio file through Quicktime or whatever. But no sound plays in Logic while I'm playing back the session. This problem started after I uninstalled my Apogee Duet 2 software + Apogee Duet device and installed (I guess attempted to install) a new device and software (Apogee Symphony MKII and Symphony Control software). However I have since uninstalled all Apogee software and removed all audio interfaces, and the issue persists. The issue DOES NOT exist in Garage Band or any other applications on my Mac, all audio elsewhere is otherwise functioning normally.

I've tried all the obvious (to me) fixes:

-I've confirmed that no track (including the Stereo Output or Master) is muted

-I've confirmed that routing is correct (track goes to Stereo Output appropriately) and again, I'm seeing levels in all the right places (track itself + Output) but not hearing anything.

-I've made sure Output and Input are correctly selected in Preferences->Audio --as I mentioned, it seemed the problem started while I was using an interface but have changed both to Built-In for testing purposes, still nothing

-I have unchecked the Core Audio box, hit Apply, and then re-checked it and hit Apply, to re-initialize Core Audio.

-I have reset Logic's preferences

-I have gone into ~/Library/Preferences and manually deleted Logic Preferences

-I have deleted and reinstalled Logic

-I have removed all peripherals--no audio devices or any other peripherals are even connected.

-I removed all plugins, not only from any session I'm testing with but from the Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components folder

-I have gone into both System Library and User Library and deleted any preference or extension that had "apogee" in it.

-I have of course restarted my computer numerous times

STILL NOTHING. This is driving me crazy. PLEASE tell me I'm missing something stupid, I'll SO GRATEFUL if it's something minor and stupid I'm missing, please enlighten me. Seriously, I'll owe crazy favor/karma to anyone who helps me with this. Thanks.

How are you monitoring: what device are you using, how is it connected, and what output device is selected in Logic's audio preferences?

As of now, I have disconnected all peripherals, and am only using Built-In Output. So no device connected, Built-In Output selected as Output in Logic prefs.

A couple of other things if Davids suggestions dont turn up anything -

Have you tested using a new untitled song?

Have you tested in a second user account?

Yes, I’ve tried multiple sessions, both already-existing (and previously working) sessions and new sessions. No sound from anything.

And yes, have tried new user account. No change.

A further (very confusing) development: when I route Logic through Loopback (an app that creates virtual audio routings), I hear sound. So Logic —> Built-In Output still doesn’t work, but Logic —> Loopback —> Built-In Output works. What the hell is going on? Some problem with Logic’s audio mapping?

A further (very confusing) development: when I route Logic through Loopback (an app that creates virtual audio routings), I hear sound. So Logic —> Built-In Output still doesn’t work, but Logic —> Loopback —> Built-In Output works. What the hell is going on? Some problem with Logic’s audio mapping?

Try turning all Loopback devices off in the Loopback app (top left column). Does the sound come back?

As of now, I have disconnected all peripherals, and am only using Built-In Output. So no device connected, Built-In Output selected as Output in Logic prefs.

Ok. So do you have headphones plugged into your Mac? Or using the built-in speakers?

Try turning all Loopback devices off in the Loopback app (top left column). Does the sound come back?

Definitely agree with triplets here. Start by turning off all Loopback devices, as Loopback, as great as it is (I use it all the time), can create havoc with your Mac's audio engine, so best to keep it completely out of the loop while troubleshooting this kind of issues.

Thanks for everyone's help (and enossified, def appreciate suggestions like yours--I was hoping/praying it was something easy/stupid that I had overlooked, but sadly that was not the case, Output was unmuted and audio was functioning normally on all other apps.) The problem resolved itself, but in a very unsatisfying & disconcerting way: it just...started working. I had posted my last comment--that I'd gotten it to work by routing Logic through Loopback--and then just left my computer in a frustrated huff. I had scheduled a Zoom appointment with a local studio tech who specializes in such problems, and didn't have a chance to try any of the suggestion people left here before he called a couple hours later. Sure enough, as these things go, when the tech called, Logic was all of a sudden working again. I can't think of any rational explanation for any of this, other than some weird thing like Logic's internal audio mapping was scrambled and leaving it on connected to Loopback somehow "reminded" it about the existence of the proper Output routing. Who knows. But got my blood pressure up for 24 hours anyway, and hopefully the issue doesn't return? Definitely unnerving that a serious issue appeared and then vanished without any specific fix on my part, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

I did end up talking to the tech and he recommended installing Apogee drivers on non-silicon Macs running Big Sur with this method:

(booting computer in Recovery Mode, running Terminal, and then running command "csrutil disable" and rebooting before installing drivers). He said he's seen a lot of Big Sur macs have funky issues with Apogee stuff. I did that and now (knock on wood), Symphony interface seems to be working with Logic. Thought I'd share. Really appreciate all the help, thanks everyone, and hopefully the issue doesn't recur. If it does, I'll be back here!