Binaural - use personal HRTF in Logic 10.7?

logicstef

I suppose Logic Pro 10.7 utilises a standard HRTF (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function) to compute binaural monitoring mixes from surround or atmos formats. The quality of the binaural mix highly depends how close the listener's head size and shape are to that of the standard HRTF used by Logic. As my head geometry differs somewhat from that of an "average" person it would be useful to use my personal HRTF for binaural conversion rather than the default one which is presumably used by Logic.

Any ideas how that could be achieved?

Or is there a plan to implement such a feature in one of the next Logic Pro versions?

As my head geometry differs somewhat from that of an "average" person it would be useful to use my personal HRTF for binaural conversion rather than the default one which is presumably used by Logic.

I'm not sure I'm following this reasoning. Is your goal to produce music only for yourself?

Any ideas how that could be achieved?

The only thing I can think of is for audio sources you're recording yourself, you can place tiny microphones inside your ear canals, make sure you don't move during the recording, then later listen to the recordings on headphones. I suppose that in a lab, you could create your own impulse responses for various geospatial locations...

Or is there a plan to implement such a feature in one of the next Logic Pro versions?

Not that I know of, no.

I'm not sure I'm following this reasoning. Is your goal to produce music only for yourself?

No, not in the first place. I just want to have the best possible monitoring experience when working with spatial audio. The given binaural monitoring doesn't work well for me.

The only thing I can think of is for audio sources you're recording yourself, you can place tiny microphones inside your ear canals, make sure you don't move during the recording, then later listen to the recordings on headphones. I suppose that in a lab, you could create your own impulse responses for various geospatial locations...

Yes, I know how the HRTF is being measured in a lab. But what I meant was: If I had made such a measurement already and hence determined my personal HRTF, how would I use it in Logic Pro? I suppose this is not possible.

No, not in the first place. I just want to have the best possible monitoring experience when working with spatial audio. The given binaural monitoring doesn't work well for me.

It doesn't really work for most people. I doubt any audience could reliably locate a sound behind them or on top of them. It's just an effect in my opinion, although I find it creates an interesting sound to position sound in space, even if they aren't easy to locate precisely.

Yes, I know how the HRTF is being measured in a lab. But what I meant was: If I had made such a measurement already and hence determined my personal HRTF, how would I use it in Logic Pro? I suppose this is not possible.

No, it's not possible. I suppose if you truly wanted you could work with impulse responses and Space Designer and set up your mixer to recreated as many different locations as you desire and pan between them... but it would be a bit of work to set up.

I agree with David, its not meant to produce "accurate stereo" in the sense that you might be thinking, it is really only an affect. Make sure you double click on the pan knob to pull up the full set of controls for it. It is much easier to manipulate there than on the knob itself.