creating multi channel wav files in Logic

barrylane

I haven't yet used them personally, but I have read they can be very useful for 'packaging' tracks that can be read by a range of other DAW's - also, I read that the 'wav' format means the original files retain their integrity, not needing compression into mp3's for sharing? I see that quite a few of the other DAW's offer the facility to produce multi track wav's. I might investigate these a bit to see what is involved a bit more. b

I haven't yet used them personally, but I have read they can be very useful for 'packaging' tracks that can be read by a range of other DAW's

Yes, that's true, although it's just as easy to handle individual files for each tracks, so long as you take great care in having them all starting at the same point, preferably 1 1 1 1, to make them easy to line up in the destination DAW (even if your files have embedded timestamp).

also, I read that the 'wav' format means the original files retain their integrity, not needing compression into mp3's for sharing? I see that quite a few of the other DAW's offer the facility to produce multi track wav's. I might investigate these a bit to see what is involved a bit more. b

WAV, AIFF, CAF are container formats. That means they are files that can contain all sorts of things. They can contain a single channel of audio, or interleaved stereo audio, or multi-channel audio (with up to 65,535 channels). The audio data can be in the PCM format (the default, uncompressed, raw audio data most .wav and .aiff files have when you work in Logic), the sample rate can be between 1 Hz and 4.3 GHz, or it can be in a lossless compression format (such as Apple Lossless for the .caf format used for Apple Loops), or it can be in a lossy compression format such as .mp3. The containers can even contain non-audio data such as waveform drawing data, MIDI data, Patch data, Tempo data, Transient data, and just about any kind of proprietary data.

Now having said that, the vast majority of professionals use wav and aiff files that contain mono or interleaved stereo audio, PCM, 44.1kHz, 48kHz or 96kHz.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not needing compression into mp3 for sharing", as the whole point of compression is to yield smaller files, that are easier and faster to share, albeit generally lossy which means the quality is not as good. So basically if you want the best quality, and can afford to use larger file sizes, use PCM files (wav or aiff, doesn't matter), but if you need smaller files to share and are okay with a lower sound quality, use compressed files such as .mp3 or AAC.

It's also important to note that PCM audio contained in wav or aiff files is a production format, while compressed audio like .mp3 or AAC is a distribution format. They both have their uses, depending on the goal.

Although there might be use cases for multichannel audio files, compatibility is the big problem. What are these use cases ?

- Library music stems - here, the music labels will certainly go with the lowest common denominator, which is mono or stereo WAV files. These can be played in any DAW and any NLE video editor, listened to without decoding on any computer or phone.

- Multi-channel mix files (Surround) - These can be created already, but since there are different standards for the channel order, someone in the production chain will *inevitably* get this wrong which will result in, for instance, all the dialogue coming from the right speaker. Trust me, been there, not worth it, didn't even get the t-shirt.

Hi

I know that multi channel wav files can be dropped into Logic for reading, but can Logic create them?

thanks

Barry

Use an audio editor for that, if that's what you're really looking to do.

859597525_SingleWAVmultiplechannels.thumb.png.a66a06b966d778c08122517c3025f7e7.png

Unless you're looking to mixdown several audio files for mastering, then you'd need to use an audio program that supports that.

282938661_SeperateWAVsforaMixdown.thumb.png.db8d80108c3ad0fd0cd704bdf2037413.png

I kind of wish Apple would update SoundTrack Pro.

I agree, I miss some of its features dearly. Or better yet I wish they would have incorporated some of the more advanced functionality into Logic Pro. I know that you could do take comping in SoundTrack Pro way before Logic Pro, and it was more flexible than it is now in Logic Pro. The Undo History was insanely flexible and powerful. The way it handled destructive audio editing in a nondestructive way was amazing. The paste and merge. The ability to take a noiseprint and create a noise stamp with it.... or its sheer noise reduction features. The spectral editing... so many great things! :D

Just been to the Acoustica website.... their editor seems fantastic ... particularly the spectrum editor ... a really handy resource. many thanks

barry

Hi

I know that multi channel wav files can be dropped into Logic for reading, but can Logic create them?

thanks

Barry

Use an audio editor for that, if that's what you're really looking to do.

SingleWAV multiple channels.png

Unless you're looking to mixdown several audio files for mastering, then you'd need to use an audio program that supports that.

Seperate WAVs for a Mixdown.png