Can you side chain movie audio when it isn't imported into the project?

TimeForMusic

I have a movie file and I'd like to use a compressor to automatically duck whenever someone speaks. I understand you can extract the audio and side chain to that track, but is it possible to side chain to the movie file itself without extracting the audio?

you need to extract the audio to work with the audio. what are you trying to do? and does the audio also have music, sound effects, etc?...

I have a movie file and I'd like to use a compressor to automatically duck whenever someone speaks. I understand you can extract the audio and side chain to that track, but is it possible to side chain to the movie file itself without extracting the audio?

you need to extract the audio to work with the audio. what are you trying to do? and does the audio also have music, sound effects, etc?...

That answers my question, sadly, if the only way to side chain a movie's audio is to extract it first to an audio track.

I am trying to automate ducking so the music's volume automatically dips down when there is more sound activity coming from the movie. The movie does not have music.

- Get an audio rerouting app like GroundControl Cube (free, best), Blackhole (free) or Loopback (good but expensive)

- In MacOS System Preferences, set System Audio Out to GroundControl 2Ch

- In Logic>Preferences>Audio>Devices, set Input Device to GroundControl 2Ch

- In Logic>Preferences>Movie, disable Use Logic Pro X Audio Output

- Set up an Aux and set it's Input to In1-2

- In that Aux, set up a pre fader Send and Bus as your sidechain source

- Monitor the movie audio either though GroundControl Cube's dedicated volume control or through that Aux you just set up.

- Get an audio rerouting app like GroundControl Cube (free, best), Blackhole (free) or Loopback (good but expensive)

- In MacOS System Preferences, set System Audio Out to GroundControl 2Ch

- In Logic>Preferences>Audio>Devices, set Input Device to GroundControl 2Ch

- In Logic>Preferences>Movie, disable Use Logic Pro X Audio Output

- Set up an Aux and set it's Input to In1-2

- In that Aux, set up a pre fader Send and Bus as your sidechain source

- Monitor the movie audio either though GroundControl Cube's dedicated volume control or through that Aux you just set up.

brilliant.