AVID Pro Tools Quartet and latest MAC

Frances O

Hi All -

I have searched extensively and cannot find a reasonable answer to my situation.

Because my LOGIC Audio interface is an AVID Quartet I've been stuck on Apple OS Mojave 10.14.x and LOGIC 10.4

I have not been able to upgrade LOGIC in years.

Two questions:

Does any other forum member use an AVID Quartet and what level OS can they run?

If I can't get past OS 10.14 with AVID... what are your preferred LOGIC Audio interfaces for 5.1 audio out with minimum 4 XLR/line in?

I am considering an M1 MAC Book Pro upgrade and didn't want to include a new audio interface.

But if I must upgrade audio interface, I don't want it to be the same nightmare as I've had with the AVID gear!

Hi triplets

Thanks for the response.

I'll have to work out a budget.

This time I'd like some future proofing with my Audio interface... it's just getting too expensive.

Which of the five would you prefer for 5.1 and LOGIC on an M1/latest OS? I'm not sure about Apogee - that's the company that now has the Quartet?

Hi Triplets, Jim

Thanks for the prompt advice -

I've been researching the various interfaces you both indicated...

There are so many models.

4 XLR with phantom, 8 x mono jack in / 5.1 out and head set monitoring is all I need.

And integration with LOGIC / Big Sur / M1 MAC moving forward.

For budget - I've settled on under $2k (AUST.)

UA looked good but is out of my budget range -

Looking at Fireface and MOTU - they seem to be on USB 2 ?? I've already got an overcrowded USB>Thunderbolt hub for my 11 year old Mac Book.

Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 ? Would this do the job? It is so much less expensive than the rest and claims to be Big Sur compatible? What's the catch...

What pitfalls do I need to be aware of..

Your advice is really appreciated.

Hi Triplets

The website says Big Sur compatible...

It's weighing in $1000 cheaper than other interfaces - I'm just wondering where the downside is...

It appears to have enough outs ... I haven't found any info on how that works with 5.1...

Any ideas? And difference between Claret and Scarlet models... which has $1000 price point difference...