Logic righty click tool - not working

Soundhound

Anybody use the right click tool? I Just discovered this but doesn’t seem to work.

In Logic Settings>Editing I switched Right Mouse button to Assignable to a tool. In the tracks area right clicking (Control click) still brings up the contextual menu, while in the piano roll it brings up the velocity tool no matter what i’ve assigned the right click tool to.

I’m on Logic 10.6 something, whatever the latest version you can update to in Catalina….

Ah, I was wondering if it wasn't some system setup issue. Secondary Click was set to Click With Two Fingers. I changed it to Click in bottom right corner, and then tried Click in bottom left corner, but both behaved incorrectly. Different than before, but still not right. Here is a snapshot of the Trackpad systems prefs, if that helps?

Edit: just to be clear, I'm using modifier keys, not the trackpad, for these functions. I'm guessing that the trackpad setup covers trackpad, mouse and modifier key setups all together? Thanks

1537055063_ScreenShot2021-10-26at3_06_24PM.png.8bb427a629685f26d67c1be087bb1057.png

Weirdly in the piano roll Control Click just brings up the contextual menu while Control/Command Click brings up velocity no matter what I have the right click tool set to.

Gremlins.

No gremlins, Control-Command-click has always been hardwired to the Velocity tool in the Piano Roll, just like Control-Command-click or drag is hardwired to the Zoom tool in the Tracks area.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm using modifier keys, not the trackpad, for these functions. I'm guessing that the trackpad setup covers trackpad, mouse and modifier key setups all together?

I'm not sure what you mean, aren't you Control-clicking with the trackpad?

I'm with David here. Literally just tried it, not experiencing problems and never have before either. I literally just tried assigning each tool in the Tools menu one by one and every single time the tool assigned responded correctly when I clicked on the bottom right (I copied the way you had it set up). I too use a Trackpad (Magic Trackpad 2).

Weirdly in the piano roll Control Click just brings up the contextual menu while Control/Command Click brings up velocity no matter what I have the right click tool set to.

Gremlins.

No gremlins, Control-Command-click has always been hardwired to the Velocity tool in the Piano Roll, just like Control-Command-click or drag is hardwired to the Zoom tool in the Tracks area.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm using modifier keys, not the trackpad, for these functions. I'm guessing that the trackpad setup covers trackpad, mouse and modifier key setups all together?

I'm not sure what you mean, aren't you Control-clicking with the trackpad?

Sorry David, yes I meant I'm not clicking in the lower left or lower right of the trackpad. I'm holder modifier keys, control or command, and clicking in the center of the trackpad.

Regarding Control Command Click I was trying what I think I read in an Edgar Rothermich video about needing to do that for another function in Logic (contextual menus perhaps) when settings for Trackpad in macOS system prefs to secondary click>Click in bottom right corner.

The behavior I'm getting now with Secondary Click set up in Mac systems prefs (shows three tools above the tracks area and piano roll rather than just two)

Tracks area:

Press and hold Command Key, Click in center of trackpad - behaves as expected, invokes the chosen middle tool

Press and hold Command Key, Click in bottom right of trackpad - same

Press and hold Command Key, Click in bottom left of trackpad - - same

Press and hold Control Key, Click in center of trackpad - does not change the tool, brings up the contextual menu

Press and hold Control Key, Click in bottom right of trackpad - does not change the tool, brings up tool menu

Press and hold Control Key, Click in bottom left of trackpad - does not change the tool, brings up the contextual menu

Piano Roll:

Press and hold Command Key, Click in center of trackpad - behaves as expected, invokes the chosen middle tool

Press and hold Command Key, Click in bottom right of trackpad - same

Press and hold Command Key, Click in bottom left of trackpad - - same

Press and hold Control Key, Click in center of trackpad - does not change the tool, brings up the contextual menu

Press and hold Control Key, Click in bottom right of trackpad - does not change the tool, brings up tool menu

Press and hold Control Key, Click in bottom left of trackpad - does not change the tool, brings up the contextual menu

As you explained:

Press and hold Control Key and Command Keys, Click in center (or right bottom or left bottom) of trackpad - brings up Velocity tool

It sounds like you're expecting that Control-clicking the center of your trackpad will give you the Right mouse button behavior as per Logic's preference, but that's not the case.

No didn't mean that, sorry for the confusion.I tried the right and left lower corners of the trackpad only after trying clicking in the middle of the trackpad, along with the modifier keys and got the unexpected results as I posted.

It's the same issue in both tracks area and piano roll, the right click tool doesn't get invoked:

Tracks area:

Press and hold Control Key, Click in center of trackpad - does not change to the chosen right click tool, instead brings up the contextual menu

Piano Roll:

Press and hold Control Key, Click in center of trackpad - does not change to the chosen right click tool, instead brings up the contextual menu

No didn't mean that, sorry for the confusion.I tried the right and left lower corners of the trackpad only after trying clicking in the middle of the trackpad, along with the modifier keys and got the unexpected results as I posted.

Then I'm not sure which one(s) of the behavior you listed you feel are unexpected?

It sounds like you're expecting that Control-clicking the center of your trackpad will give you the Right mouse button behavior as per Logic's preference, but that's not the case.

Press and hold Control Key, Click in center of trackpad - does not change to the chosen right click tool,

Do you see what I mean now? You are expecting the "Right mouse button = Is Assignable to a Tool" preference in Logic to apply to "Press and hold Control Key, Click in center of trackpad". However, that's just not the case.

I completely understand that you would assume that Control-clicking the center of your trackpad would give you the same behavior as holding down the right mouse button while clicking with a mouse, because in many cases, that's how it behaves. However that's not the way that specific "3rd tool" Logic preference works.

Aha! Glad to hear it's my own vapor lock, not something wrong with my Logic or Mac!

Okay then, how do you invoke right click tool in Logic then?

This is one of the videos I've been watching which shows using the right click tool in Logic. What am I missing?

Second tip, at 4:04 - Adding a third tool!

Press and hold Control Key, Click in center of trackpad - does not change to the chosen right click tool,

Do you see what I mean now? You are expecting the "Right mouse button = Is Assignable to a Tool" preference in Logic to apply to "Press and hold Control Key, Click in center of trackpad". However, that's just not the case.

I completely understand that you would assume that Control-clicking the center of your trackpad would give you the same behavior as holding down the right mouse button while clicking with a mouse, because in many cases, that's how it behaves. However that's not the way that specific "3rd tool" Logic preference works.

What am I missing?

What you are missing is a mouse with at least two buttons, a left and a right button, so that you can use the Right mouse button to assign it to a tool (the preference is appropriately named "Right Mouse Button is Assignable to a Tool").

929967060_RightMouseButtonPref.png.c3848339bc382ff841cdb3c7f2d382c7.png

Because you're using a Trackpad and not a mouse, the System Preference Trackpad preferences mentioned earlier do apply, meaning that you can choose one of the choices listed in your Trackpad preferences for a "Secondary click" to perform Logic's "Right Mouse Button" action:

871018459_TrackpadPreference.png.00486f9e2f0143cea5bf794baffe2cec.png

I did set the trackpad preferences secondary click to click in bottom right corner.

Ok then if you click in the bottom right corner of your trackpad (as shown in the little video in your system preferences), then you should get a "3rd tool" operation in Logic. Make sure you actually click (press into the trackpad), don't just tap it.

right-click.gif.d409689a2fe828a2b79707c32a1980c3.gif

It works! The issue was not understanding that right clicking on the trackpad just means clicking in the right corner, without holding the control key. If you hold the Control key while right clicking on a trackpad it brings up the contextual menu.

Whew, this will be very handy. I use Mute a lot and can set that for right click in both tracks and piano roll. Having velocity easily accessible is great as well. It'll take time for muscle memory to set in of course.

Thanks David.

It works! The issue was not understanding that right clicking on the trackpad just means clicking in the right corner, without holding the control key. If you hold the Control key while right clicking on a trackpad it brings up the contextual menu.

Great! Good to hear. :D I wish I could have figured out earlier what the issue was but... well that's how things go, at least now you know how it works, and that's what matters. :D