What's the best way to set up several hardware synths in Logic?

joachim_s

I have several 80s synths such as the Juno-60, Oberheim Xpander, Juno-106 and more and I have a hard time using several instances of the External Instrument plugin at the same time for them. It's not a matter of routing issues, rather that it doesn't seem to work very well. Is there a better way to do this? Should I go in to the MIDI environment and set things up there instead? Not very used to using it.

Define "doesn't seem to work very well".

Well, over time as I’ve tested it out I’ve had several crashes, and I’ve not noticed cpu/ram peaks as a reason. I just try and use one external instrument plugin instance on at a time for better results. That’s however not very practical if I want to adjust setting on my synths by just playing midi tracks before recording them to audio.

Just some 30 mins ago I got this (new to me) error after I had recorded midi + audio from one of my external synths, and had to turn off the external inst plugin on for that instrument and even delete the midi region to stop the error from appearing. Logic overall went very slow because of it:

173-DBEA4-9270-4695-8-AB3-9-AA1643-CD1-D2.png

Hm. All I can say is that I have never experienced crashes that were related to using the External Instrument Plugin.

All it does is bundle already existing functionality, namely the management of a MIDI Track with a target MIDI Output, plus the handling of the returning audio pretty much like an Aux Channel does.

This means you could also go the old school way of setting up a MIDI Track with a MIDI instrument, and handle the returning audio by yourself through either an Aux Channel (like the EIP does) or another Audio Track set to input, which will come in handy if you later want to record the audio to a track. Try this to see if that avoids the crashes.

This means you could also go the old school way of setting up a MIDI Track with a MIDI instrument, and handle the returning audio by yourself through either an Aux Channel (like the EIP does) or another Audio Track set to input, which will come in handy if you later want to record the audio to a track. Try this to see if that avoids the crashes.

I will look in to that. Thank you!

Define "doesn't seem to work very well".

Well, over time as I’ve tested it out I’ve had several crashes, and I’ve not noticed cpu/ram peaks as a reason. I just try and use one external instrument plugin instance on at a time for better results. That’s however not very practical if I want to adjust setting on my synths by just playing midi tracks before recording them to audio.

Just some 30 mins ago I got this (new to me) error after I had recorded midi + audio from one of my external synths, and had to turn off the external inst plugin on for that instrument and even delete the midi region to stop the error from appearing. Logic overall went very slow because of it:

173-DBEA4-9270-4695-8-AB3-9-AA1643-CD1-D2.png

Did you try unpacking the folders to see what happens? Are you working off a template? Sometimes templates get corrupted. I’m also running multiple hardwares using the external instrument plugin without issues.