Logic 10.7 Still not showing as an available update?

Maestro777

I heard the news a few days back and then read here and other places as well that where some users weren't able to see the available update. It's now 10/21 and I still don't see any available updates in the App Store for logic. What gives?

I'm running Catalina, surely this OS X is still supported on 10.15.7. Any one else? How can I get the update???

I see the new spatial feature in the App Store but the only option I have is to Open Logic which displays I have 10.6.3. I could delete it from apps and then acquire it again and maybe that would work but I shouldn't have to delete my preferences and etc. just to get that update.

Are there any local system files I could try deleting to force the update?

Edited by Maestro777

Ok, nevermind.

Looks as though Apple is muscling folks to Big Sur for this update per another site. Sorry Apple, if that's true it ain't happening.

This is the one thing that really perturbs me about Apple. Manipulation just never ends. Catalina isn't that old. It's barely just over a year. So uncool. :?

===============

UPDATED

===============

Just found notes from someone else that 10.5.7 may work so giving that a shot. Hopefully this will prove to be an oversight on my behalf b/c requiring Big Sur for this update would be totally ludicrous.

I feel the pain lol. With as much as I like Logic Pro X, this is the reason I’m considering an alternate DAW lol. I hate how Apple basically pushes you along to not only update your OS every year in order to keep using their pro apps, but you’re also being pushed to update your hardware because with every major macOS update they drop support for at least one previous product generation.

I got a used 2015 MBP in 2020, and now with macOS Monterey being announced, the 2015 MBP is the oldest compatible laptop, which means I’m willing to bet macOS Monterey is going to be the last OS my MBP will be able to install.

No new hardware = no new macOS = no new Logic Pro X.

At this point, unless release cycles change, you can basically buy a brand new Mac and calculate the year when you won’t be able to update Logic anymore. It’s like watching a train speed towards you lol.

Meanwhile another DAW I’m eyeing is still compatible with 10.13 High Sierra lol.

I feel the pain lol. Meanwhile another DAW I’m eyeing is still compatible with 10.13 High Sierra lol.

Do tell! I'd be interested. Seems they could have at least waited for Logic 11 to push this requirement but I digress.

I'd used Cubase for years and they began emphasizing the GUI as a marketing strategy over functionality and rushed the product out the door every year full of bugs.

Then I opted for Studio One which was fine for a time and proved to be more stable until I started seeing issues and reported anomalies with their incorporation of some UI component they began using that affected the audio engine. The effect caused the audio to periodically jump around 5dB of gain at any given time. Could happen during a recording session, playback or bounce. Also found a number of other glitches that made working with it totally counter productive with my time. Didn't hear much of the issues for Windows users but that provided no consolation for me.

Reaper "seems" to have a complicated UI with a steep learning curve. Pro Tools is not for me, I pay = I own.

Finally, I chose Logic and it has it's share of periodic issues as well but bugs are expected in any software; and the issues are so trivial to me that they don't affect my productivity. Logic has truly been a rock solid platform for me; but now it's raising it's ugly corporate head so if I can find another DAW that I can use that won't stifle my productivity and enhancing it would be a nice added feature as well; then I'm likely to drop Logic. Its shame though. I really like this DAW and have no issues supporting their work but I won't stand for the greed factor. That's where I draw the line.

Love to hear what you're considering though.

Well, I was thinking about Cubase but your notes above sank that ship lol. The other DAW was Ableton Live since I make Electronic/EDM. I mean, in all honesty I don't want to leave Logic Pro X, but I've been feeling disenfranchised for a number of years because I believe what I said above is spot on:

Apple controls the hardware, the OS, and the application. We are completely at their mercy. We update the OS when they tell us to, or we stop being able to update Logic. We upgrade our hardware when they tell us to, or we stop being able to update the OS. If you don't update the OS, then by system requirements that Apple dictates, you no longer are able to update Logic.

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy and living in the past where you could configure your system, then not mess with upgrading the OS for an acceptable number of years, but I only think this is true to an extent because If you take one of these components away from Apple's control (hardware, OS, application), you can, today, in the year 2021, have the luxury of not needing to burn your system to the ground and rebuild it every 12 months (I like to do clean installs, I don't think this is asking too much lol).

You can Google previous versions of Logic Pro X and even v9 and see the system requirements historically gave you up to 3 years of backward compatibility with the OS, meaning you could go years without needing to update your machine. You could configure your studio machine, get it in a working and stable state, then run with it for the next few years. I understand a lot of things have changed and the OS release cycle and system requirements isn't the only thing butting heads with this way of doing things, like the need to have internet access on your studio machine instead of being able to keep it offline because of everything going to subscription models, but for me this is the most in-your-face, aggressive tactic. I can feel Tim Cook's hands pushing me along from behind lol.

Of the three options, I feel replacing the DAW is the most painless.

Well, I was thinking about Cubase but your notes above sank that ship lol.

Of the three options, I feel replacing the DAW is the most painless.

Haha.... sorry about that. Totally unintentional.

But totally agree on all points and on a side note, the term "change is good" is an over exaggerated cliche' of which these days has proven to be all but true.

Technological advances can always be a welcomed commodity irrelevant of how old one may get. But as long as there is greed for money, there will always be an unfortunate misuse of it. IMHO

There isn't really a genuine "Need" for many of these now existing business models; though corporate (among the chief of all entities) may market and have you believe that via their evangelism. Only their need for greed that they apparently cannot seem to quench is the reality of it. If Steve J. were still around, I don't "think" he'd handle things in the manner that Tim Cook has and is doing. Hopefully the next CEO will be more practical and striking a reasonable balance for both the company and the consumer.

Anyway, yeah.... replacing the DAW is by far the most logical. I'll hold onto Logic as it currently serves my needs and the heck with the upgrade. When my system has gotten full use for the money invested and it's time to buy again, then I'll re-assess what Apple is doing and determine if I want to purchase with them again. But if the craziness persists, I'm off of this money train.

Edited by Maestro777

On the other hand, do you really need the new features in 10.7?

I still use Logic 10.5.1 on my 2010 Mac Pro and it's rock solid.

I have 10.6.1 on a laptop with Catalina. No need to update.

Any DAW is just a tool. So I think until you need Dolby Atmos in EDM, you can wait?

Oh, you're absolutely on point triplets; and that is the route I'm taking. I'd obviously prefer to keep things up to date but under the circumstances, I don't need it anyway so its a no-brainer pass on this. Just my venting a bit on how they always seem to want to manipulate.

Thanks

On the other hand, do you really need the new features in 10.7?

I still use Logic 10.5.1 on my 2010 Mac Pro and it's rock solid.

I have 10.6.1 on a laptop with Catalina. No need to update.

Any DAW is just a tool. So I think until you need Dolby Atmos in EDM, you can wait?

In theory yes, I can wait to update. In practice and from personal experience, it's a fate worse than death lol. There's the desire to update, but there is also the need to update. I only updated when Logic Pro 10.4.x became so unstable it was basically unusable, crashing multiple times on launch, crashes during use, etc. This required a hardware update because Apple deemed my hardware unusable. I'm not a software programmer so I don't know all the ins-and-outs of why this is but neither Logic app reinstall nor OS clean reinstall helped. I must have just literally used logic 10.4.x to death lol.

While I did want to try all the cool new features in 10.5, which again I couldn't get because I couldn't update the OS, beyond that I wanted a stable DAW to make music lol. I bought a used 2015 MBP, got all set up with my "new" system, and now with macOS Monterey having the 2015 MBP as the oldest compatible machine, I'm starring down the same train that just plowed my iMac down lol.

My 27" iMac that was, and still is now that it's running Linux, a stable, powerful and reliable machine. However, it cannot be updated beyond High Sierra. For years this was not a problem at all. Then Logic Pro X launched. This is the time period I identify as when the backward compatibility with the OS began to slowly shrink to where it is now, basically one major macOS version back.

While I haven't crunched the numbers, I don't think you even get a full year of backward compatibility now. A 10.X release from Logic brings newer system requirements. Then you find yourself in this guy's situation where had he bought Logic Pro X last week he could be using it right now, albeit version 10.6.4, but now with 10.7 needing Big Sur he now needs to update his OS to be able to even purchase it, and he's lucky because he can update his OS, if his machine couldn't update like mine won't be able to be next year, he'd now need a new Mac to purchase Logic.

Well, let's look at the business side.

Apple wants you to buy new hardware, so eventually you get locked out of the upgrade path with older hardware.

Microsoft is doing a similar thing with Windows 11. And we're talking about Windows, the eternity realm for backwards compatibility lol!

I know I have to get an M1 machine eventually, probably a Mac Mini.

But I can wait because I don't need 10.7 right now.

And besides all this, I think it's amazing what they're doing with the M1 chips and the fact that they listened and put ports back on the new laptops, that's rare for Apple to be listening and doing something with it.

I agree. I'll also add that I get that technology moves at break-neck speed, and being the pessimist I am, I'm thinking this underlying issue of hardware/software compatibility is probably only going to get exponentially worse lol.

If the performance jump between generations is exponential, and the "M1 Pro" for example is orders of magnitude more powerful than the M1, then the M1 won't be powerful enough to even run the new version of whatever software that is made to take advantage of the M1 Pro's power.

IDK, it sucks but I guess the unsaid consensus is "What can you really do about it?" lol

Technology moves forward, you can't stop it. But we can certainly bitch about it!

lol, this thread was pretty cathartic tbh. Also hearing others POV on it kind of helps me realize I could maybe buy an additional year or two between updates with another DAW but with all the variables at play, it's prob not going to achieve the goal I'd want of having a stable system for years and years with no updates. Waves will come out with an update that throws everything out of whack or something lol.

Maybe be grateful you haven't updated. All I'm getting is spinning beachballs attempting to put in work.

I've already "upgraded", but I have the previous apps backed up from 10.6.3 to 10.4.4, minus a few I missed when I waited to update my iMac. I should/could probably delete a few of them now that I think of it.