A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

 
johnnybones
Topic Author
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon May 03, 2021 6:20 pm

Grouped Tracks for Drum Comping - one track doesn't behave and I can't comp as group

Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:49 pm

Hello,
I have an 8 mic drum recording session going on, with several tracks recorded and comp'd as a group, according to plan. But in the most recent one, my kick track started misbehaving and no longer cooperates with the group.

I searched and found this thread viewtopic.php?t=124977
as well as checked out this one viewtopic.php?t=54823 (which was linked in the above thread)

and tried their solution of ensuring that the tracks have the same number of takes, same length, double checking the group settings, and tried making cuts at beginning and end of regions. Tried reimporting the files and tracks into a new project as well. No luck.

The issue began towards the end of the song and at first I thought it was only affecting the new regions (from the bridge onwards) but now I have realized that I can't go back and change the comping of the previous sections either; the kick track still won't behave as a member of the group (even though it was before, and I comp'd them all before, and I haven't changed those take folders at all!). I CAN however drag from the right side of the whole take folder and shrink the whole thing, and change the take folder name, and all 8 including the kick behave. but I just can't comp. Weird?

Is there anything else I can do? One other thing I saw was unpacking and repacking the take folders, any thoughts on that? I figured it shouldn't matter if the takes and their respective lengths are already the same anyway? A little hesitant to do that (8 tracks with 5+ takes and a new take folder for every section of the song... seems like a pain :| ) But if somebody vouches for this method it I can give it a go.

ALSO, I am wondering If there is a workaround Thankfully we did some basic comping after recording each section; so I would only need to do a lot of work on like 2 sections of the song... so is there any way I can just edit 8 take folders simultaneously WITHOUT the grouping feature? For example, the way I can just highlight 8 regions and change the size of all of them, change the gain, etc... I tried highlighting them all and comping but it didn't work.

Is this a bug? have I done something wrong? My best guess is at one point only the kick track was armed for recording by accident, and it recorded something to only that track. but then I would have immediately deleted (or more likely pressed undo), and as shown below the take folders all look the same.

All 7 of the other tracks in the group still behave properly.

Here are some screenshots of the situation:
1) group settings Look good: they are all on group 2: "?"
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 3.51.11 PM.png
(1)
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 3.51.11 PM.png (2.02 MiB) Viewed 340 times

2)kick take folder
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 3.52.26 PM.png
(2)
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 3.52.26 PM.png (953.26 KiB) Viewed 340 times

3) snare folder (for (2) the and (3) we are looking at the folders with 5 takes showing)
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 3.53.18 PM.png
(3)
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 3.53.18 PM.png (745.39 KiB) Viewed 340 times


I just realized that the takes have different names now on the kick from the rest of the tracks; that would have happened when I was using the kick as my guide track to edit all 8 tracks, thinking they were still grouped. I will try changing them all back to just simple tack numbers and see if that does anything. BUT fwiw on the previous sections the names are still all matching and still the same problem persists!

Also I just realized that the kick folder, if you look on the track panel on the left (pic 2) has a "B" written on it. I've seen that before but am not too familiar with it - its a different track version right? I've had that happen a few times and its always by accident since I've never set out to do that. Could that be the problem? I tried switching it back to "A" but the "A" version has completely the wrong audio information so there's no use to that.

Anyways I hope that information is enough for somebody more knowledgeable to figure out what exactly is wrong and how to fix it. Do let me know if there is any other info I can provide that would help with a diagnosis / solution!

For future songs (and the ending of this one) I have just made a new project, tracks, groups, etc. and it works fine. Its just this song that needs rescuing (no matter how I reimport or make copies the problem persists) - but like I mentioned above, even just a sub-optimal workaround that will let me edit all 8 comp folders as one, even if its less efficient (within reason lol) would be great to know as well! However I definitely want to ensure that I can prevent this problem from happening in the future.

Also FYI its a brand new MacBook Pro running the latest Big Sur version 11.6 and Logic is also fully up to date, checked all that initially to see if it was a problem!

Cheers!