Logic Pro 10.7 Released

David Nahmani

a bug that apple needs to fix; whenever 10.7.1 happens (sigh)...

oh yeah.

it's so.. annoying. gah

Options:

1. Stay on 10.6.3 or previous versions, which are full of bugs.

2. Update to new OS and 10.7, which has all the old bugs plus some new ones, but has more features.

3. Start learning another DAW from scratch

Not exactly a great set of options :x

1. just use Emagic Logic Platinum 5. It basically has none of the current bugs.

2. see 1.

3. Start learning another DAW from scratch

-3.1 Stay on Cubase 10.5 or previous versions, which are full of bugs.

-3.2 Update to new OS and 11, which has all the old bugs plus some new ones, but has more features

-3.3 Start learning another DAW from scratch

--3.3.1 Stay on Ableton 10 or previous versions, which are full of bugs.

--3.3.2 Update to new OS and 11, which has all the old bugs plus some new ones, but has more features

--3.3.3 Start learning another DAW from scratch

---3.3.3.1 Stay on ProTools 2020 or previous versions, which are full of bugs.

you get the picture

Back to hardware so :)

what? you mean, you can't make music on any of these versions, because there are bugs? all software has bugs, that's why the OSes are in a constant state of updates, and why we get point updates in logic.

i got thru the year on 10.6, and am now working without major issues in 10.7. if there's a bug, i work around it. anyway, if you're expecting perfection... good luck with that.

I can, but the process has become very difficult due to the unpredictable behaviour of Logic. Every track I make takes much longer than it did in version 9 due to the amount of time I have to spend looking for and implementing workarounds.

Working around one bug is one thing, but working around a broken DAW is another. I’m not expecting perfection, but I expect that it should be strived for.

The constant addition of new features without fixing bugs that have been around for years, shows that isn’t the case, and quite frankly, I’m sick of it, as are many others.

"unpredictable behaviour"? whatever problems you're having, this is not the 'norm'. most of us on the forum are doing just fine in logic, so it might be more productive to start a thread, describe your issues... and get some help.

my experience is SO good with LP 10.7 and previous versions; truly terrifying to imagine going back to logic 9.

I can, but the process has become very difficult due to the unpredictable behaviour of Logic. Every track I make takes much longer than it did in version 9 due to the amount of time I have to spend looking for and implementing workarounds.

Working around one bug is one thing, but working around a broken DAW is another. I’m not expecting perfection, but I expect that it should be strived for.

The constant addition of new features without fixing bugs that have been around for years, shows that isn’t the case, and quite frankly, I’m sick of it, as are many others.

"unpredictable behaviour"? whatever problems you're having, this is not the 'norm'. most of us on the forum are doing just fine in logic, so it might be more productive to start a thread, describe your issues... and get some help.

my experience is SO good with LP 10.7 and previous versions; truly terrifying to imagine going back to logic 9.

Thanks. I’ve done that many, many times. About 70% of my posts on here are asking for help/workarounds for bugs I’ve found. Some have been solved thanks to the great community here, but many are still unresolved. Even Apple support couldn’t help.

Earlier this year I took the huge step of upgrading my laptop and installing everything from scratch to try and squash as many of the unresolved issues as possible. It worked for some, but others still remain and some new ones have popped up in 10.6.3. A lot of these bugs are ones people on the forum had already identified - the ones that Apple can’t be bothered fixing from one version to the next because they seem hell bent on adding new features and creating new bugs, rather then fixing the ones that already exist.

So, you’ll have to forgive me if I’m less than enthusiastic about updating my OS to get the latest version of a buggy DAW, to replace my already buggy version of that DAW.

Thanks. I’ve done that many, many times. About 70% of my posts on here are asking for help/workarounds for bugs I’ve found. Some have been solved thanks to the great community here, but many are still unresolved. Even Apple support couldn’t help.

Earlier this year I took the huge step of upgrading my laptop and installing everything from scratch to try and squash as many of the unresolved issues as possible. It worked for some, but others still remain and some new ones have popped up in 10.6.3. A lot of these bugs are ones people on the forum had already identified - the ones that Apple can’t be bothered fixing from one version to the next because they seem hell bent on adding new features and creating new bugs, rather then fixing the ones that already exist.

So, you’ll have to forgive me if I’m less than enthusiastic about updating my OS to get the latest version of a buggy DAW, to replace my already buggy version of that DAW.

ok, but again.... this forum (& the world) is full of people making music professionally on logic and don't experience it as a 'buggy DAW' (am not saying it's bug free); perhaps, to some extent, it's the way you're using it.

try another DAW; perhaps you'll get more-of what you need. or find workarounds, try other ways of doing things.

i make my living on logic, and love working with it, and have since 2009. maybe your needs are deeper, more complex. but, in my workflow, there are only a very-few bugs to workaround, and mostly... it's great.

* The count-in now uses the time signature of the bar where recording will start in cases where there is a time signature change at that bar. *

This is not working as described over here. Tried on two different computers. If I try to record from 6/8 when 4/4 is before, count in still is in 4/4. Can anybody check this? Thanx!

* The count-in now uses the time signature of the bar where recording will start in cases where there is a time signature change at that bar. *

This is not working as described over here. Tried on two different computers. If I try to record from 6/8 when 4/4 is before, count in still is in 4/4. Can anybody check this? Thanx!

Indeed, same here, it does not seem to work as advertised. :shock:

ok, but again.... this forum (& the world) is full of people making music professionally on logic and don't experience it as a 'buggy DAW' (am not saying it's bug free); perhaps, to some extent, it's the way you're using it.

try another DAW; perhaps you'll get more-of what you need. or find workarounds, try other ways of doing things.

i make my living on logic, and love working with it, and have since 2009. maybe your needs are deeper, more complex. but, in my workflow, there are only a very-few bugs to workaround, and mostly... it's great.

I'm glad it's working well for you, but give it time. The bugs will come! The reports have already started on this thread and it's only a few days old.

I'm glad it's working well for you, but give it time. The bugs will come! The reports have already started on this thread and it's only a few days old.

I don't feel like 10.7 is unusually full of bugs. It has its bugs for sure (I have personally found and reported quite a few already). However, keeping in mind that all releases (and in fact all DAW software) has bugs, in my experience so far, Logic Pro 10.7.0 is a rather stable update, especially considering that it's a X.X.0 update.

I don't feel like 10.7 is unusually full of bugs. It has its bugs for sure (I have personally found and reported quite a few already). However, keeping in mind that all releases (and in fact all DAW software) has bugs, in my experience so far, Logic Pro 10.7.0 is a rather stable update, especially considering that it's a X.X.0 update.

Thanks David. I think I'll continue with 10.6.3 and wait for 10.7.1 before taking the plunge. I'm in no mood for updating to Big Sur at the moment and definitely not ready for Monterey yet. Are you running Big Sur on an intel MBA? How is it?

Big Sur on an intel MBA? How is it?

Yes, it's running great here, very stable, no problems at all. Once in a while my fans start to go a little crazy but that's only if I use multiple apps at the same time for example my Chrome browser playing video or a demanding web app. I honestly have to say that I'm surprised myself at the performance of my machine, I've been meaning to update it for several years now and just... can't justify it because it's doing so well with everything I throw at it.

every version of logic has had it's bugs, this is how tech works. along with new features, revisions, bug fixes, we get... new bugs. welcome to the world of software.

meanwhile, am getting my work done, which is what matters most to me. i've met a bug (or 2), but nothing that would keep me from being productive.

Big Sur on an intel MBA? How is it?

Yes, it's running great here, very stable, no problems at all. Once in a while my fans start to go a little crazy but that's only if I use multiple apps at the same time for example my Chrome browser playing video or a demanding web app. I honestly have to say that I'm surprised myself at the performance of my machine, I've been meaning to update it for several years now and just... can't justify it because it's doing so well with everything I throw at it.

Great to hear!

every version of logic has had it's bugs, this is how tech works. along with new features, revisions, bug fixes, we get... new bugs. welcome to the world of software.

meanwhile, am getting my work done, which is what matters most to me. i've met a bug (or 2), but nothing that would keep me from being productive.

Excellent! Long may it continue :)

Excellent! Long may it continue :)

:lol:

This discussion reminds me of the horrible horrible release that was Logic Pro X 10.0.0. Back then I had to do a complete rewrite of the book and I just didn't know how to handle the nasty bugs that made it nearly impossible to complete some of the most basic tasks or to get consistent results when repeating a specific procedure. But I guess that what sometimes occurs with a X.0.0 release. Still I couldn't believe they would let it out into the public's hands in that state.

We've come a long long way since, thankfully. :D

i also have problems with quick sampler, maybe its the same problem as with the dmd, since it tries to load quick sampler. And with alchemy, cant load a sample. Looks like this is the most buggy Logic Ive seen since the days of mac os 9

not having any of these issues (i just checked). so... not buggy! instead, you're having an issue specific to your setup. so, humble suggestion: start a thread, ask for help (perhaps it's a permissions issue?)... anyway, there are smart people on this forum, let them help you sort out the problem.

But I believe that one day there will be systems to thoroughly test such in a. way that will render a software bug free.

Unfortunately, this is not practically possible with our current level of technological sophistication, and there is nothing on the horizon that's going to change this.

To get some idea of the well understood problems of this kind of thing, you can skim:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

But keep dreaming... ;)

But I believe that one day there will be systems to thoroughly test such in a. way that will render a software bug free.

Unfortunately, this is not practically possible with our current level of technological sophistication, and there is nothing on the horizon that's going to change this.

To get some idea of the well understood problems of this kind of thing, you can skim:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

But keep dreaming... ;)

Thanx for your feedback, which is undoubtedly an enlightened one.

I’ll also keep focusing on the very last part of it though… :wink:

...yes, the Turing works get more attention nowadays, Turing Machine modules are quite popular - and now have entered the Arturia Pigments Synth too.

Btw my main Logic "bug" turned out to be linked to "My Avid". I had it installed as Pro tools is installed and it autostarts.

I found out that this was the reason why Quick Sampler on 10.7 wouldnt load (while it still did in 10.6.3). Quitting "My Avid" removed the problem....

How is anyone supposed to find this out. I was lucky to since I always suspect Avid if something goes wrong with audio on my system, and I was right again

Btw my main Logic "bug" turned out to be linked to "My Avid". I had it installed as Pro tools is installed and it autostarts.

I found out that this was the reason why Quick Sampler on 10.7 wouldnt load (while it still did in 10.6.3). Quitting "My Avid" removed the problem....

To Stop Avid Link from starting at boot: In the terminal do:

sudo defaults write /Library/LaunchAgents/com.avid.avidlink.plist RunAtLoad -boolean false

To again allow Avid Link to start at boot, run the same command again, changing the “false” to “true”.

To Stop Avid Link from starting at boot: In the terminal do:

sudo defaults write /Library/LaunchAgents/com.avid.avidlink.plist RunAtLoad -boolean false

To again allow Avid Link to start at boot, run the same command again, changing the “false” to “true”.

Oh. my. GOD thanks so much for this. Avid Link hasn't caused any issues that I'm aware of besides occasionally being a CPU hog the times I've had to restart my computer, but if nothing else it is annoying to have to quit all the time (and to not have a user-facing on/off switch for the open at startup setting). Now I just need to take the time to figure out which plist/s is/are doing the same for Stream Deck… at least until I buy the hardware version.

Hi!

Found this about Stream Deck. Hope this helps!

https://freepctech.com/gaming/how-to-stop-steam-from-opening-on-startup/

Oh sorry, it’s for Steam Deck rather than Stream Deck . I’ll let you know if I find something for Stream Deck.

Update: Ok, for something called Stream Deck, it should be the same method.

So you can delete "com.elgato.StreamDeck.plist" from: /Library/LaunchAgents

or try this in the terminal: sudo defaults write Library/LaunchAgents/com.elgato.StreamDeck.plist RunAtLoad -boolean false