Logic Pro 10.7 Released

David Nahmani

So far lost 2 days trying to get my system to see my MOTU 1248. It’s actually visible in System Report Hardware > TB/USB4, but nowhere to be found in Audio/MIDI setup or System Sound. Worked before with Catalina, not now with Big Sur. Works on another Intel MBP that I installed then MOTU driver to test just fine. Tens of removing the MOTU apps, reinstalling, 1248 powered & not, no luck. Went to manually delete MOTU installed files, too, but still haven’t gotten it to work, not to pop up the ‘blocked extension’ error message, which might be the reason, the driver not being allowed by the security system, but me not having anywhere to allow it. Waiting to hear back from MOTU.

Ugh! Sorry to hear. I had a similar issue with my UAD extension being quarantined after upgrade to Catalina. I could not get the "Allow" option to show up for the life of me. Apple's insanely strict security has made life harder in some cases. I will email you what worked for me. It's a bit involved but worked to force the extension to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

I will email you what worked for me. It's a bit involved but worked to force the extension to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

Brother, thanks for this! I'd done something like this before, I thought, dug into some Terminal stuff, but no luck then... But shiiiiiieeeeet, now finally got the 'blocked extension' error message to pop up and my MOTU 1248 to be found by the system. Here are the steps I took today. Your mileage may vary and please follow these at your own risk, but I wanted to post in case someone has the same issue (that sometimes happens upgrading an OS, like I did, from Catalina to Big Sur:

1. I used Find Any File to look for all files having ‘motu’ in their name (Spotlight/Finder search doesn’t always show everything)

2. I deleted everything 'MOTU' that had to do with audio AND MIDI in:

- Applications

- Library/Application Support/MOTU

- Library/Extensions

- Library/Audio/MIDI Devices

- Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers

- Library/Audio/Plug-Ins

*I checked for these both in Macintosh HD/Library and Macintosh HDUsers/ville/Library (so System Library and user ~/Library which is hidden, but you can get to it in many ways, one easy is hitting (period) to reveal hidden files/folders)*

- I don’t know if that was the culprit, because I also removed some logs, caches, and webkit and other seemingly non-related MOTU-files, but all thru my 2-day tinkering Motu MIDI Driver.kext was persistently in StagedExtensions folder and couldn’t be deleted from Finder nor Terminal with rm- etc. I found someone trying to clear the StagedExtensions and someone else told to do this to get Motu MIDI Driver out of /Library/StageExtensions: ‘sudo kextcache -prune-staging’. TBH I don’t know what StagedExtensions are/do, but it feels like they’re like temp/cached versions of the actual extensions and in this case ‘pruning’ checks the actual loaded extensions and gets rid of any Staged ones that aren’t present in their original location, which in this case it wasn't, so it's now gone from StagedExtensions. (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46535279/what-is-library-stagedextensions-for-and-how-to-remove-extensions)

3. Not sure if this helped, but I disabled SIP; boot to Recovery Mode , sign in, Utilities > Terminal: ‘csrutil disable’, reboot (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/disabling_and_enabling_system_integrity_protection)

4. Installed the latest MOTU software (and made sure to Allow right away in Security and Preferences when it FINALLY actually popped up this time; must’ve re-installed 20 times by now)

5. Re-Enabled SIP; boot to Recovery Mode , sign in, Utilities > Terminal: ‘csrutil enable’, reboot.

And now to checking out 10.7 and doing some actual freaking work, too. Grrrh, lost two days on this. F*ckers.

Some of the new sounds alone make it worth upgrading to 10.7. Linn Drum in the new Vintage Drum Machine sound pack is astoundingly accurate. It sent a memory shiver down my spine. A bit non-plussed by some of the new graphics but I suspect it'll look it's best on newer machine. Overall, I like the upgrade a lot. And it's about time I learned to use Dolby Atmos. Well done everyone.

I also went to Big Sur so I could update to Logic 10.7. All plugins were successfully validated (some I had to validate manually afterwards). Also downloaded all the new content, which is quite a lot. Logic didn't recognize that I already had content installed from previous Logic versions and wanted me to download everything again. That didn't fit on my Macbook's SSD, so I relocated the library to an external drive before installing the new content.

I noticed that after relocating the sound library, the content was not removed from the original location. Was that always the case or is that a new 'feature'? :D

I also went to Big Sur so I could update to Logic 10.7. All plugins were successfully validated (some I had to validate manually afterwards). Also downloaded all the new content, which is quite a lot. Logic didn't recognize that I already had content installed from previous Logic versions and wanted me to download everything again. That didn't fit on my Macbook's SSD, so I relocated the library to an external drive before installing the new content.

I noticed that after relocating the sound library, the content was not removed from the original location. Was that always the case or is that a new 'feature'? :D

Correction! Logic created aliases to the new sound library location, so it did remove the library from the original location. Strange thing is that the amount of available free space didn't change.

Correction! Logic created aliases to the new sound library location, so it did remove the library from the original location. Strange thing is that the amount of available free space didn't change.

check the trash. also, try a reboot...

check the trash. also, try a reboot...

Rebooting did the trick. 80 GB more available space :shock:

Thanks!

... Logic didn't recognize that I already had content installed from previous Logic versions and wanted me to download everything again.

Same here, though I see the old downloads in my custom location. Downloading the whole shebang again to the default location now, because I DO have the space in my current setup, which I didn’t a couple setups ago, thus getting a touch “cleaner” installation/setup now.

So far lost 2 days trying to get my system to see my MOTU 1248. It’s actually visible in System Report Hardware > TB/USB4, but nowhere to be found in Audio/MIDI setup or System Sound. Worked before with Catalina, not now with Big Sur. Works on another Intel MBP that I installed then MOTU driver to test just fine. Tens of removing the MOTU apps, reinstalling, 1248 powered & not, no luck. Went to manually delete MOTU installed files, too, but still haven’t gotten it to work, not to pop up the ‘blocked extension’ error message, which might be the reason, the driver not being allowed by the security system, but me not having anywhere to allow it. Waiting to hear back from MOTU.

Ugh! Sorry to hear. I had a similar issue with my UAD extension being quarantined after upgrade to Catalina. I could not get the "Allow" option to show up for the life of me. Apple's insanely strict security has made life harder in some cases. I will email you what worked for me. It's a bit involved but worked to force the extension to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

Had this too when I upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur the other day. Disable SIP/install/Test/Re-enable SIP. UAD tech supt wasn't of much help. I complained to another hardware vendor, he says the Apple notarisation stuff is buggy. And now we move on with yet another upgrade of the OS...With even more social media possibilties. Just the thing I need on a workstation.

I've noticed that it's now impossible to color individual regions in Lp 10.7, only tracks. I've mentioned this to Apple, hope they'll take notice ! (very handy to be able to color sections of larger cues for bouncing or exporting)

Actually this works the same in 10.7 as in previous versions, just make sure you choose Logic Pro > Preferences > Display > Tracks, and set Region Color to Individual. That preference already existed before 10.7 but perhaps it got changed somehow for you?

1920660976_individualcolors.png.a2c1c26b00aaedff557118d88078c2a9.png

1684685476_displaypreferences.png.20cc808d96657fe6790b41f5f76f0df9.png

stupendous reply David, thanks as always. Works perfectly. Don't know why preferences change like that between updates ?

But on that note: I've noticed that the little red number that appears when editing/moving more than one object in the arrange window has disappeared.

It's very useful when edit within a large session - it reminds me that I'm moving or changing the length of something I can't see off-screen.

Is this a preference thing again ? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated !

N

Now that I solved my false incompatible plugin scan issue, LP10.7 works pretty well, I'd say even better than 10.6.3. The new libraries installation took quite a long time though (8 hours to download 64GB!). Perhaps the server was flooded by d/l requiests?

The colors looks more vivid, which I appreciate. The control bar icons are rather small, which makes it look less crowdy. Perhaps the designer intention was to yield more space to add more tools...

I guess I'll have to delve in to learn the new stuff.