Automatic Fading Help

wheresthecheese

Hello!

I'm having trouble with my tracks automatically adding fades to both the beginning and end. This is an issue that randomly started happening and is really annoying. My Drag setting has always been No Overlap and I haven't tampered with it.

For example, I recorded lead guitar over the chorus of my song. I then chopped up the lead guitar in a few places, so that I could choose the best parts from different takes, so that eventually the lead guitar will be flawless. Whenever I make a chop or if I decide I want Take 15 instead of 18, it adds the faders to the beginning and end. I'll take the faders out, but then they come back! I can't think of anything that I did to cause this to happen, but it's driving me nuts.

I emphasize that although I turn the faders off and eventually say "I don't like this part, I want this take instead" and change it, the faders automatically come back. I've added a screenshot as a visual representation. Any help is appreciated!

-Nick

1257112973_ScreenShot2021-09-17at12_41_13PM.thumb.png.acae209cda1e5a732260b9d5e3885a3f.png

On your screenshot that's a take folder. On take folders, fades are automatically applied at edit points according to your settings under Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio :: Editing (Crossfades for Merge and Take Comping).

The confusing part of the behavior is that even though Logic applies automatic fades to edit points in a take folder (as expected), it appears to let you edit or remove those fades, however I recommend you don't do that because as you've discovered, as soon as you edit the take folder again, it applies new fades again where you've removed them, and other fades you may have adjusted for example in length may start bugging out.

So basically you have two exclusive choices:

EITHER work with take folders and let Logic apply fades automatically, and don't touch the fades OR work with regular audio regions and edit your fades as you want.