Difference in true peak on left and right channels

reachvargas83

This question is about adding a final gain on the mix and direct it towards a weaker side of the image, left in my case. I have mixed a track with all the tracks with no panning (I did not feel the need to pan as they sound good). Obviously the lead instrument (synth guitar) is sending some notes more towards right, especially the high frequency ones. Similarly, I added an Alchemy pad that also seem to oscillate some different sounds to left and right as it progresses. I placed a Level meter in the mastering project as the last meter on the out. The left is about 2 dB less than right, and my ears can perceive it too at some points. Should I place a gain, add dB and set the direction to left so that the Goniometer stays in the middle and equally distributes? I have checked the plugin setting of my VST, especially for my lead synth guitar and there is no control. PS: The gonio meter shows a line that tilts right at a few specific points. I do not want the user to feel that it is heavy on the right alone and I want a balanced stereo master (irrespective of some movements that the background pad is making on its own).

If your mix is unbalanced, and you have less happening in the left versus the right, and you don't like this, then adjust your mix so it's more balanced. You can do that in many ways by panning, adjusting volumes, bringing up the left, bringing down the right, moving instruments in the stereo image etc, depending on what's going on and where the problems are.

Should I place a gain, add dB and set the direction to left so that the Goniometer stays in the middle and equally distributes?

No. Use a dual mono plug-in as suggested by Fuzzfilth. A dual mono inserted on a stereo track gives you individual gain control for each channel.

Note that adjusting the relative gain balance of your left and right channels is the same as moving the image of your mix in the stereo field, or panning.