Importing session data breaks template

12bitcrunch

Wondering if anyone can chime in with some advice here.

I have a mixing template where all the tracks are going to one of three auxes. Two of these feed the third ‘final’ bus that in turn feeds the main stereo output of logic.

I also have a few VCAs setup. BVs, all FX etc

I usually just work with stems but am now starting to see actual logic project files from people. My template busses all start from 33 onwards so as to not cause problems with other peoples aux effects etc.

So importing their project data (content, plugins, i/o) sometimes causes unexpected behaviour in the following two ways.

-My VCAs all get deleted

-The solo behaviour becomes unpredictable. Everything in my session ultimately goes down bus 64. Yet sometimes when I solo bus 64 I don’t hear every element in the session. Which doesn’t make sense.

Is this to do with importing auxes from other projects? When the popup menu appears i tend to select ‘create’ new busses...

Any help or information on what logic might be doing would be really great?!

Routing can be problematic, and it might be an idea to do a few tests with simplified cases to understand Logic's behaviour during import. This will give you a chance to investigate whether changes in your main template might be able to mitigate some of these routing issues, and what the exact problems to look out for are.

I'm not importing other peoples projects into my own, and I can understand why it could be messy, so I don't have any direct knowledge of the exact behaviour (I"m sure other people here will weigh in with some more practical advice), but if it was me, before dealing with complex real-world cases, I'd be running some import tests to understand how Logic behaves in these cases, and to try to find solutions for the issues thrown up.

As for the solo behaviour - it's difficult to now without looking at the routing. Probably best to find an element you're not hearing but should be, and trace it's routing to see if anything jumps out at you as being funky...

Thanks. I think the soloing thing might be to do with the fact I use track summing stacks?!

It could be yes, it really depends on the routing. When importing a session breaks the routing that way, I would recommend you import only the tracks and reproduce the routing manually, choosing the desired busses etc. May be time consuming but at least you should be able to get it to work.