Gband loops won’t preview while track is playing

Yenyames

Yes, but the control bar has different icons/buttons. GarageBand is using what looks like symbol font for the buttons, Logic has little boxes where the icons are. My point is, the screen shot of "GarageBand" problem doesn't appear to be a GarageBand screenshot...

Yes, but the control bar has different icons/buttons. GarageBand is using what looks like symbol font for the buttons, Logic has little boxes where the icons are. My point is, the screen shot of "GarageBand" problem doesn't appear to be a GarageBand screenshot...

I think the screenshots are an older version of GarageBand (which looked closer to what Logic Pro looks like). The reason I can tell it's GB and not LP is the list of plug-ins in the inspector in the Smart Controls pane.

Hi David, the problem is a general Logic problem—loops in the Loop Browser will not preview when playhead is moving, even when the speaker button at the bottom is switched on—and not specific to a particular project.

I've scoured through the manual and can't find anything to explain or solve the problem. I was beginning to think that maybe this was an odd sort of "feature" of Logic Pro 10 (I've only recently updated from Logci Pro 9), until I saw this thread.

Hi David, the problem is a general Logic problem—loops in the Loop Browser will not preview when playhead is moving, even when the speaker button at the bottom is switched on—and not specific to a particular project.

I cannot reproduce this issue here: I can preview Apple Loops during playback as expected — which leads me to believe it's project or template specific, unless it's related to something specific on your Mac. If you start a new empty project (not from one of your templates), start playback then click a loop in the Loop browser, can you not preview it?

file attached

I had a look and opened your garageband file in Logic Pro and it appears that there is a bit of a mess with audio channel strips. Multiple objects have been assigned the same core audio channel, and one of those is used for previewing loops, which consequently works only when the transport is stopped. I'm afraid I would call this GarageBand file corrupted and either live with it, or try to rebuild the song in a new file.

Oh so weird this has never happened before .. plus it still doesn’t work when I open a new project .. I have a few questions if that’s ok..

What’s an audio channel strip?

Is it not ok to duplicate channels?

Which core audio channel is used for previewing loops?

Any idea what happened w/ the master track also?

Hi David, till no success after opening a new empty project.

Perhaps it is something specific to my Mac.

I can preview a loop when the playback is not moving, but as soon as I start playback the loop switches off and stops playing. Switching on the green button does not restart the loop (it does display the waveform).

This happens with all loops—audio, software and sequencer.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Dave , any idea why this is still happening on a new project also ?

I looked at the new project you attached that one does not have the same issue as the original one. Which makes it even weirder. Let me continue inquire on this.

I'm having this same issue in Logic 10.6.3. The Apple Loops won't play when I'm playing the session, but when the session is not playing, the Apple Loops plays just fine.

Yes, still not sure what is causing this.

If anyone wants to experiment with it and try to find the culprit, here's a Logic project (based on Yenyames' GB project) that has this problem:

new project not previewing loops.zip

• 3 months later...