Apple/Emagic mt|4 amt8 unitor8MKII 2021 USB MIDI Driver

des99
Message added by David Nahmani,

Go to the following thread for a discussion on Apple's newest Unitor driver, the Unitor Family Driver v3, compatible with Apple Silicon (M1, M2, M3): 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, i also have to thank the driver, finally AMT8 has the opportunity to work again, but I confirm that there is really a problem with switching presets on tools. I've tried about 8 synths and everyone does it. There is a tendency to switch the preset, but then it reverts back to the original. Roland SH-01A even freezes. When connected to mioXL, everything is fine and preset switching works.

Thanks for checking out the issue.

rob.

FWIW, I gave up, but I am keeping both my Unitors just in case someone at Apple gets around to updating the drivers. But until that happens. I ended up getting a Midiplus MIDI16x16 (https://amzn.to/3H1tmYn - a core midi compatible 16x16 USB3 interface. It is a somewhat odd 1.5 U rack size, and depending on your rack the bottom screw holes may not line up. All the jacks are on back (having the one pair on the front of the Unitor was handy), but the build quality on mine seems fine. It handles sysex well so far, has been rock stable, and worked right out of the box, no drivers. My old school Mackie MCU is responsive and all my older synths work fine with Midiquest. Logic setup was effortless. It's powered through the usb connection. Other than the odd size and no front jacks, my only other quibble is that it has a very bright white LED for the power indicator. But I wish I had got this sooner rather than fighting with alpha drivers on the Unitors for all those frustrating weeks after upgrading to an M1.

It met my needs to replace 2 Unitors, so I am passing it on as an option.

@dewedman24 I have only used basic midi clock with the midipius 16 (which worked fine syncing external gear to logic), but it doesn't have any LTC inputs or outs like the Unitor if that is what you are asking. Afraid I haven't used any advanced time code stuff since the 90s so I may have misunderstood your question!

Here is the manufacturer's site with the manual, but documentation is sparse and support was very slow to answer any technical questions. I just took a chance with Amazon figuring I would return if it didn't work.

https://www.midiplus.com.tw/en/product-detail/MIDI16X16/

Let me know if you need me to test anything specific with a file or something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
So no one else has seen this, then, from last Friday...?

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2090?locale=en_GB

Presumably you didn't see these before posting! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=163134

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=154961&start=60

I updated the other thread, just didn't find this one to add it too - done now, of course!

Oops, sorry - should have checked!

• 3 months later...

Here we are in July 2022!  Will my emagic MT4 still work on my new M1 Max MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.4?

It lights up when connected via USB, but doesn't show as connected from within Logic.  I had a feeling the device driver is missing in MacOS Midi Studio, so I downloaded the last Unitor Family driver for the MT4 and tried to reinstall, but got a message "you don't need this update".

4 minutes ago, Nunstummy said:

There is a relatively new driver "v3" from March 11, 2022

Yes, this is what is being discussed and linked to further up the page (posts from March 2022), the new Apple silicon driver for the old emagic interfaces.

Edited by des99
  • Love 1