Scaling Score window doesn't work anymore

Bebop26
Go to solution Solved by volovicg,

Hi !

I'm so happy ! I'm working on a good song that makes me feel good and by working on it, I've learned many things in Logic, mostly concerning score editing in the last days.

I can now manage quite correctly with the score editing, including adding lyrics attached to notes. This is great. Logic Pro is really a powerful software !

I still have hundreds of questions, but I manage to learn and find my answers. This forum is of a great help when I can't figure it out...,

I have one small question for you, experts of Logic Pro !

I'm working on a score for musicians, lead singer and back vocals. Earlier tonight, I could SCALE my charts, in order to have more or less lines and bars on my pages. But now, the scaling doesn't work anymore. It's stucked at a 100 % and I can't change it anymore. This is true on individual parts or in the « all instruments » score.

Why is that ?

To scale my charts, I go to the « Show Score sets window », in the main Score window, and I use the [scale :] button (arrows or %) at the top right of that window.

If someone can help me with this, I'd appreciate !

Thanks to all fo you reading this !

Pierre

There seems to be something I do not understand. See the screenshot that follows.

1195688141_Capturedcranle2021-06-2512_49_32.thumb.png.229cc3f453187a835a2ed6ae7e470fdb.png

I'd like to scale the chart in order to have more staves on the sheet. I could do it once, I can't anymore.

Thanks so much for the time you invest into helping others.

• Solution
That is correct and the designed behavior. Only score sets can be scaled and the "All instruments" display view is not a score set. Just create a score set from the drop down - New - New complete set - this will create a score set identical to "all instruments" but is a real score set that can be scaled....

Hi Volovicg !

Wow, I'm amazed. Now I'm beginning to see how to work with the Score editor. I can scale my scores the way I want them. It seems very powerful.

Tell me : in you opinion, if I want to get into scoring, can Logic Pro do mostly all what one needs to do to write professional scores, or is it still useful to work with softwares like Sibelius or Finale ?

Where did you learn all the things you know in Logic Pro in general, and in particular regarding scoring ?

Thank you so much ! I really mean it !

From someone studying scoring: Really need to use something meant to handle notation still, and probably forever more.

EDIT: Just realized you didn't mean "scoring" scoring. In that context: for simple things, one might get away with using Logic, but I'd liken it to using a car engine to cook a meal. Possible to do, probably much more practical in a different setting.

I don’t agree - I am getting a degree from Berkee in music theory and composition - all of my work is notated in logic - it is deep to learn but the rewards are great ! There has been nothing I have not been able to help people with, score or motte in logic - I used finale and switch to logic - this is where I will stay forever. :)

I don’t agree - I am getting a degree from Berkee in music theory and composition - all of my work is notated in logic - it is deep to learn but the rewards are great ! There has been nothing I have not been able to help people with, score or motte in logic - I used finale and switch to logic - this is where I will stay forever. :)

Really? That's interesting! Were you a longtime Finale user, or not so much? I'm curious how you found the transition from one to the other.

volovicg wrote:

- I am getting a degree from Berkee in music theory and composition - all of my work is notated in logic - it is deep to learn

Thanks for that point of view. How did you manage to master the scoring possibilities of Logic Pro ? Trial and error, YouTube and this forum ? I'm still trying to find out if David Nahmani's book covers deeply the scoring aspect of Logic Pro...

LookaAtThisGuy wrote :

From someone studying scoring: Really need to use something meant to handle notation still, and probably forever more.

OK, I understand that for real orchestral scoring, or more complex work, a dedicated software might be a better solution. Thanks for your comment.

Thanks for that point of view. How did you manage to master the scoring possibilities of Logic Pro ? Trial and error, YouTube and this forum ? I'm still trying to find out if David Nahmani's book covers deeply the scoring aspect of Logic Pro...

Come to think of it, if not David's book (though I don't recall how in depth that went from my copy of the book for Logic Pro 9), I seem to recall that someone on the forum had a Score Editor training course you could take somewhere online… Ski, I think it was? Haven't seen him around in ages, though I know for a few years, I was very infrequent on the forum myself. I do recall there being some online training though, so it might be worth looking into.