MIDI notes look delayed in piano roll but sound aligned

Eddy

Hello,

I haven't worked with one of my hardware MIDI keyboards in a long time, but recently tried to do so -- when I did, a strange thing happened: I recorded in a part, sounded fine (no latency or anything), and also played back fine, in time with the track in real time etc. Again no latency issues. But when I clicked on the region I recorded, it looked like I played everything behind the beat -- almost a 16th note late. But again when playing the region with it looking like that, the track sounded fine/aligned/on the beat etc. If I pressed Quantize to line up my notes with the grid, then things sounded off (ahead of the beat now). I do have several third party plugins active on other tracks, but this is just an External MIDI Instrument track I'm working with at this point; and just FYI all VST/third-party software instruments don't have this issue (i.e. they look and sound aligned, or at least as played where I can quanitze/line things up etc. if I want to). I'm attaching a screenshot -- you'll see that the MIDI region notes are not lined up to the grid, even though I played as exactly as I could, and the resulting audio file bounce/export that I did, is indeed lined up and sounds fine, you'll see the start time of the WAV file is ahead of the start time of the MIDI notes.

650990092_ScreenShot2021-05-19at12_25_21PM.thumb.png.2aff0c8c229551b77388e5f576afcc9b.png

• 1 year later...

If you have any latency inducing plug-ins in your signal chain, Logic does this to keep External MIDI and Software Instruments in sync. So I guess to avoid this you need to remove those plug-ins from your project first. I'm not too familiar with this subject (never use any External MIDI tracks really), so maybe someone else on this forum has a better solution? Like, somehow get Logic to, instead of creating off-grid notes, automatically set the Delay of the recorded region to an appropriate value instead?

Edited by polanoid