Logic Pro X won't force quit sometimes?

TimeForMusic

Sometimes Logic will crash failing to load an instrument, and I'll have to force quit. Upon trying to reopen, Logic will just bounce and not open. Right clicking in the dock shows the option to force quit, but clicking it does nothing—it remains "open" without starting up. If I try to restart my computer, Logic will often halt the restart because it is not responding and I have no way to force quit it. I usually have to manually power off the machine and turn it back on to reset everything.

Any thoughts on this?

Try to press Option-Command-esc and see if can force quit Logic from there?

force-quit.png

Just had an episode of this again and tried. Logic does appear in the force quit window, but even if I choose to force quit, it remains.

247897295_ScreenShot2021-02-22at7_11_24PM.png.7aa747e30798419c91cc893df429bd8e.png

1519119056_ScreenShot2021-02-22at7_11_36PM.png.79c033cc4db850e458f0d9702d5fa091.png

835380186_ScreenShot2021-02-22at7_11_42PM.png.9f42ffa940adcf17f5e22db990396a89.png

What's more interesting in what's going on in the dock. Logic will not appear "open" (no white dot below the app). However, the application persists in not responding, and right clicking it still gives the "force quit" option. Again, pressing this does nothing. I have to reboot my computer.

1592384870_ScreenShot2021-02-22at7_12_20PM.png.a424ad39a0382e73361754c4eef170e7.png

I bet it’s the OS that is writing core files. You are describing the exact same problem I had. Check the core folder, it’s invisible and at root level of your boot drive. I bet you have LARGE core files there, which is os memory dumps. Have you been using Audio Gridder? If logging and tracing is on there and Logic crashes for some reason , this will happen. Other apps can also trigger this ”feature”.

Google disable core files and you can block this from happening. I bet loads of Logic users have there ssds filling up with core crap.

The easiest way to show invisible files on mac is just holding command shift period (I think that’s correct)

Just googled how to show invisibles:

Open Macintosh HD or the folder where you want to display the hidden files in the Finder. Hold down the Command, Shift and Period keys: cmd + shift + [.] The hidden files and folders on your Mac will then appear partially transparent. You can hide the files again using the same keyboard shortcut.

Oh, and IF you are using Audiogridder, that will trigger core file data when Logic crashes for whatever reason even if logging is OFF in Audiogridder, there are probably other plugins that do this though....so Logic will appear to hang because the computer is super busy dumping memory data for diagnostic reasons.

You can trash core files, they are for programmers.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...