AMT8, Unitor & MT4 - M1 driver (Big Sur) [SOLVED]

Ripz
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi do you have the drivers for the mt8 or know a link where I can download them as just got a new Mac but can’t find the drivers for the MT8.

Hi Pulsar, after browsing posts I found it here --> https://magic.mecanography.fr/installing/

Thing is, it "works" kind of, AMT is showing into MIDI setup - BUT - it's not working well on my brand new Mac Mini M1, i.e. I cannot play multiple notes on my keyboard...

It's a first step, but I bought a Mac Mini to work faster and in the end I have to connect my piano to my old mid 2014 mac book pro ... such a pain...

I feel the pain of everyone on this thread. Actually the motu Midi Time Piece is also not supported any longer. It has worked up until Catalina but motu doesn’t officially support it and I am pretty sure it will not work with M1. Motu does sell newer 8 port interfaces that ARE supported but I find it a bit silly to have to replace two or more perfectly good and usable midi interfaces just because they don’t want to validate their drivers to work with it. Also the MTP had a few features the newer ones don’t have. Anyway this is only barely related to AMT in that it’s a similar situation. I may eventually just move to Iconnectivity because they seem to be keeping up better with the times but I only trust motu and the old emagic stuff to handle MTS correctly. Nobody else will say a word about that which to me means they don’t handle it at all, the time stamp will be handled in the driver and not at the hardware level. I believe these old emagic interfaces and motu’s are the only ones to really do that imho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey folks,

Following this thread with great interest as I also have an AMT8 and just got stuck as you are with my new Mac Mini M1 :?

Have we got any news from user mcng ? I don't see his messages anymore :?

Does Kurt Arnlund from Unitor 8 Preference Panel answers any messages ?

I remember a very near past when ABLETON use to have a front picture on their website, with a studio fully equiped and an AMT8 in the picture :P

ableton-live-10-release_1_web-.Jm_brmmqqdGpDbsxsWlbKFYAMj8vfXZ.jpg

I heard KA has a LINKEDIN page, maybe he can be founded there?

I heard KA has a LINKEDIN page, maybe he can be founded there?

Thanks indeed, that could be a solution.

It's really a pity.. now I am using my Mac Book Pro 2014 to trigger my AMT8 and my Mac Mini M1 to write notes on software :?

Super not handy..

Especially knowing IT CAN BE DONE (easily?) I really don't want to give up on those amazing AMT/Unitor, nor spending a dollar in a new MIDI interface..

• 3 weeks later...

This is such a drag. I have my new 16" MacBook Pro with Monterey, but now it looks like I'm stuck on my 2018 - Mojave machine for music for the time being. I have 2 AMT8's linked for 16x16.

If Apple does decide to update the driver in the future, what team is responsible? Is it the Logic team or the Core Audio team? Any way to cast our votes? I guess it makes them no money, so I doubt they care. Maybe a member of one of these teams just loves their Emagic interface and gets it done.

I know Apple has open sourced a lot of code. If Apple will never update this, Is there a channel to request this driver be open sourced? I need sysex, and it looks like the unofficial driver mentioned earlier is buggy with sysex.

For those that have switched to the 16x16 midiface, have any issues arisen since your previous posts... I really love my blue AMT8's, hard to switch.

Probably the best course of action is to continue to send Feedbacks to Apple requesting an M1-compatible driver version.

But honestly, I'm doubtful this will happen now.

*Even* if someone on the team would be interested in doing it, it's likely that management wouldn't want the time spent on supporting such, effectively, old/out-of-date hardware, despite it still being perfectly useful with an appropriate driver.

But it is curious why the OP had the interest in doing this, and then pulled out suddenly, pulled the code, deleted their posts and disappeared. He could have just said "Hey, other things have come up and I'm not able to continue to work on this", and maybe even let others continue the work, but his exit seemed rather drastic. There may be nothing there, but it's interesting. It's not impossible that Apple sent him a cease and desist, but then, if they had no interest in supporting these older devices, why would they care?

Perhaps he'd taken someone else's driver code to modify and got called up on it perhaps. Difficult to say for sure. All we know is that this particular project seems dead, despite showing promise, and unless someone else steps up with the skills and interest to do it, or Apple do, I think the end is nigh for one of the most solid and trouble-free pieces of hardware in my studio for two decades...

But it is curious why the OP had the interest in doing this, and then pulled out suddenly, pulled the code, deleted their posts and disappeared. He could have just said "Hey, other things have come up and I'm not able to continue to work on this", and maybe even let others continue the work, but his exit seemed rather drastic. There may be nothing there, but it's interesting. It's not impossible that Apple sent him a cease and desist, but then, if they had no interest in supporting these older devices, why would they care?

The truth is the OP didn't delete their posts, it was an accident that occurred while I was doing some maintenance and his entire account got wiped out. I was able to recreate his account, however unfortunately pulling all his old posts from a database backup and relinking them to his account seems over my head and I gave up on trying to recreate his posts.

I was in contact with the OP rather recently and he was busy with other projects and didn't have the time to pursue his endeavor at this time.

• Wow! 1

The truth is the OP didn't delete their posts, it was an accident that occurred while I was doing some maintenance and his entire account got wiped out. I was able to recreate his account, however unfortunately pulling...

Can we consider that as "hope" ? :D

It would be cool if someone could build a small piece of hardware that acts as a middleman between the AMT8 and the computer turning it into a compliant USB midi device.

THAT would be awesome indeed ! But it' even more a dream than a new driver working properly :s

For those that have switched to the 16x16 midiface, have any issues arisen since your previous posts... I really love my blue AMT8's, hard to switch.

So far so good with the Midiplus16x16... Sysex is all recognized and no discernable latency issues. I really miss the ports on the front for hooking up some temporary gear, but that's a real minor quibble. Support is pretty non-existent, so it's a good thing it's working out of the box for me, core midi, no drivers needed.

FWIW, I am keeping both my Unitors just in case. :D :D

So far so good with the Midiplus16x16... Sysex is all recognized and no discernable latency issues.

Thanks, I'm preparing. I was just ordering some extra rack gear, and I also had them cut a half U spacer for me, to hide the gap with the odd. 1.5 U height. At first I thought "why did they do this?", but now I'm thinking it's a good thing, as I can put the midiplus on top of a piece of heat vented gear and not lose a space...

Thanks, I'm preparing. I was just ordering some extra rack gear, and I also had them cut a half U spacer for me, to hide the gap with the odd. 1.5 U height. At first I thought "why did they do this?", but now I'm thinking it's a good thing, as I can put the midiplus on top of a piece of heat vented gear and not lose a space...

The space is good for heat yes, but the lower rack screw holes don't necessarily match up with standard drilled rails. I just have the top ones secured and it seems fine.

• 1 month later...

As far as I know, anything is possible with software.

It can't be that hard to write a driver or convert the old one.

I'm getting the feeling that Apple won't make this happen.

There should be someone here that can write it.

We could raise some money (pay $10 each),

so that person can get a few hundred dollars or more, for his/her work :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I do have a problem though, the MIDI channels are barely visible

image.thumb.png.77887f5eb5ce68d871cdac52b1a6e3b8.png

On my McMini which is with the v2.5 driver, they appear in blue. Here they are in grey, and as you can see almost no difference between what is selected and not.

Eyestrain fan 😅

Xavier

• 1 year later...

Hi there!

Jumping to 2024 😃

Driver 3 is supposed to work on M3 (sonoma)?

I installed it and AMT not seen anywhere, not even in System Report.

I may had it turned on, first time I use the installer. Is this the problem?

Thanks!

Edited by eduluke