Invisible Recording Track

TRUN

Obviously I was reaching back out to fuzzfilth and NOT you..

We are a community. When you start a discussion here, it is a public discussion, and all members of our community can participate (and also anyone reading can benefit from seeing the answers). The point is that if someone isn't available then someone else can chime in and you don't have to wait. If you really prefer getting private help from fuzzfilth then you can click the link in his signature to contact him and pay for a private session, however when you post here, anyone is free to jump in and respond.

I understand that you may have been turned off by the use of the word "obviously" in des99's answer. It's not always easy for us long-timers to understand some of the questions and sometimes certain things we've been doing many, many times for many, many years can seem so obvious to us that we don't even feel the need to point them out. Like, for example, the need to dismiss or confirm an alert before regaining access to the interface and being able to do anything else. But I also completely understand that this may not be obvious at all for a user like you in the process of troubleshooting a situation and trying to follow instructions that are missing that step. As a book author I am constantly reminded of that when I write a step by step tutorial and my tech editor tells me things like "you forgot to tell them to stop playback at the end of the exercise". Well yes, the exercise is finished, isn't it obvious that they should stop playback? Well no it is not, especially when every step is clearly detailed and that one is missing.

So yes, I agree that the use of the word "obviously" can be hurtful and deemed a little aggressive or patronizing, even if I doubt that was the case here. But the truth is, that if it were obvious, then you wouldn't have asked the question. Which means it isn't obvious to you. And we should accept that and answer accordingly. I have tried lately to remove the word "obviously" from my vocabulary when trying to help people on the forum.... for.... well... for obvious reasons. :lol:

In any case we're all fellow music producers here, and we're all trying to help each others with a common goal, understanding Logic Pro better, so let's never forget that.

:D

Interesting excursion on the word "obviously" and I agree for the most part. However, there's one more facet of it, hinting at the level of, well, obviousness, on a meta-layer. If you can't see the woods from the trees, it's obvious that the woods are there and not difficult to discover, it's just that you are too close to see the solution. So a problem might not be the super-sophisticated mega-brain riddle that you thought it was, all it might take is to nudge your perspective a bit and everything falls into place. To be reminded of that actually helps in solving the problem.

It wasn't meant in a patronising way. A modal alert box is such a common convention on computers that I found it odd that the OP seemed unsure what to do when nothing else could be clicked on, and unsure enough that instead of just dismissing the dialog and trying fuzz's suggestion, they instead took the much longer step of posting back for clarification.

If it was more obvious (sorry) that the OP was, for example, a new computer user or new to DAWs etc, then perhaps I might have chosen different language. However, that didn't seem likely as anyone who has gone to the lengths of modifying and hacking Logic's UI is probably reasonably competent at computer stuff in general.

I can understand why it might be interpreted as user-hostile (I agree on all David's points), but it wasn't intended in that way.

We can't always guess at the right level with which to engage people who are asking for help, but it's better for everyone if people accept that help with the good nature it's intended and work together to get to the right outcome. If the level we chose (for whatever reasons) is wrong, some polite nudging in the right direction is helpful for everyone.

Also, some of us tend to have a bit of a snarky humor. But it’s all in good fun and not meant to be patronizing per se. Everyone here was a beginner at some point. I didn’t even learn how to use a computer well until I was 30 (waited until 2ghz speed to jump in because I knew enough to know that that was the threshold they would be able to do what I wanted them to as well as I wanted).

I will say that this forum is a very friendly one and while snark may occur in abundance, (almost) everyone here is very friendly and heated discussions rarely occur. Perhaps the friendly vibe lends itself to a bit of the snark. I mean, don’t we all give our friends a little bit of a hard time on occasion?

Welcome to the forum and know that no one here (well most) considers any (well most) question to be too basic. personally I love the basic questions because they’re the ones I’m generally qualified to help with (and thereby am able to contribute).