Possible to cut/split one track or region at the same locations as another?

Andreas Lorentsen
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

Hi!

Is there a way to use one track/region as a template for cutting/splitting another region at the exact same places? The obvious answer is Groups, but this is kind of different. I 'll try to explain the diffference in detail:

If you set several tracks to be members of a group and mirror the edits with Quantize locked audio, you achieve identical edits on the grouped tracks. But it requires that the edits are done simultaneously (in other words: the group clutch has to be ON and is best achieved with a bit of planning.

But if I for instance chopped, split and sliced a snare drum region into tiny pieces with an extreme zoom level and used quite some time to get it precise, and then I record a NEW drum track later (see where this is going?) - the ideal thing would be to just tell Logic:

"Split the regions at the same spot and crossfade at the exact same length as I did on the other track.". Use it as a editing template. (Apple? you here?)

Well, "ideal world" is the big key word here unfortunately. However, it's not ideal and it's certainly not logical, at least not anymore, and I'm too tired to search anymore. It would be an incredibly boost to effectivity if I just could figure out a way to do this without inventing the wheel 8 times pr hour.

I hope I managed to explain what I'm struggling with here.

Any suggestions? :)

Andreas

• Like 1

I think I also see the problem with this, and why it's no so easily achieved:

As soon as you split that 1 region on a track into many, you can't really expect Logic to automatically "know" how to compare say...125 regions to the "new" single (1) region where you want to duplicate the edit operations from the other (that ended up with 125). The only way to keep track of that would be (I'm guessing here though) by constantly buffering undo history and keeping it in memory all the time, which is madness. I might be wrong, of course, and I really hope so.

:shock:

Well, that was..easy. I found myself watching that GIF like 25 times. Extremely impressing party trick. This feels like the time i discovered that an expression pedal is nothing more than a volume pedal with one half of a stereo jack cable connected from the input to the output, and the other half to the expression input. This is much more clever of course. Thanks a bunch, fuzzfilth.