External Harddrive recommendations

musicismygas
Go to solution Solved by Zipfunk,

For my sample libraries (Hollywood orchestra) I use a 1tb ssd loaded into a cheap $14 snap together usb 3 case.

(I used to get notes choking out from their 7200 rpm drive supplied with the libraries)

Works great.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. 1TB is enough for music production and storing libraries?

I keep all my projects on my computer’s ssd and keep all my third party plugins on the external ssd. I probably still have about 200 gigs free.

The best plan would be to go through all your plugins and see how much space you’ll need.

1tb ssd’s are cheap right now.

2tb ssd’s are a little expensive still.

When they come down in price I’ll upgrade.

I keep all my projects on my computer’s ssd and keep all my third party plugins on the external ssd. I probably still have about 200 gigs free.

The best plan would be to go through all your plugins and see how much space you’ll need.

Thanks. Will definitely look into this. I should get familiar with how to run plugins (and maybe sessions too) from the external harddrive

Its pretty straight forward.

I just moved my libraries to the SSD and then used the specific library's GUI to point to the new location.

Easy as that.

I've not tried to run a session off the external SSD but I think I'll try.

I don't know if its slower because its USB3 as opposed to internal. I'd have to research that.

Glad I could help.

Drew

1TB SSD - USB3 enclosure. Not as super-fast as internal SSDs, but easily handles projects and sample storage. NB I don't change instruments often during work on a project, so once samples are loaded there isn't really any issue for me.

Before I got my new MacBook Air I was using a 1TB USB3 drive to boot and run things on my laptop.

Soon enough the large SSDs will be low enough in price to never think about hard disks again.

I keep my tape vaults (master recordings) on 4TB portable disks - they work fine for long term storage. Useless for actual work.

Soon enough the large SSDs will be low enough in price to never think about hard disks again.

Yep, I have my eye on 2tb SSDs waiting for the price drop

I keep my tape vaults (master recordings) on 4TB portable disks - they work fine for long term storage. Useless for actual work.

I agree. Amazon had a sale on 8tb External a while back. I bought two and mirror my old projects.