The less there is, the bigger the project size!

puroprana

Using Logic Pro 10.6.1 on a 2012 Macbook Pro running Catalina.

I saved a project (including all related files) with a new name. The new project was 6.4 MB compared to the old project's 85 MB. ?! So I went in to look at the new project. Everything was there. I checked for unused audio files... Nothing.

I erased an 8 bar software instrument region that I no longer need. I changed the numbers on some preexisting pitch bends. I shortened a handful of notes. I then used Clean Up under Project Management. Now the new project is BIGGER... 16.6 MB.

What the heck is happening?!!!

Thanks, Christian! So, I assume that the backups get wiped when saving a project under a new name? If so, that would account for the massive difference in file size. Any idea how many backups are saved, for how long or where to see them? This would be good to know if I have to decrease a file size for some reason.

Yes. You can set the number here:

692329072_Bildschirmfoto2021-01-14um16_19_55.png.61f96cb641e4c4698c8d473a3bba1d25.png

If the number of backups is high, file size grows.

If the number of Undo steps is high, file size grows.

If one Undo step contains much data ("move 1221 Regions 1 frame to the left")m file size grows

If the number of Undo steps in the Audio File Editor is high *and* you're actually editing there, file size grows.

If the last backup with many small edits and many small audio edits replaces an old one with large edits and/or large audio edits, file size shrinks.

If you Save As, no backups are copied and file size shrinks.

But generally, unless you come to project sizes >1Gb and saving takes too long, I wouldn't spend time worrying about this.

Also - File>Project Management>Cleanup>Cleanup Backups saves the Project and clears all Backups in one go.

Thanks, Christian. You're awesome!

As mentioned previously, I've already used File > Project Management > Cleanup > Cleanup Backups. It didn't seem to do anything. I just tried it three times on a 2.9 GB project. This project has no audio (software instruments and a Drummer track) and is 77 bars long. Each time, I was shown the same set of unused sample files. (10). And each time, the file size remained the same.

I also tried Consolidate, and then Clean Up with everything checked. Still no change. Gremlins? ;)

David, thanks for the offer. However, after digging a bit more, the issue with the 2.9 GB package is the samples. I have a 8 tracks of brass. Two of those tracks explode out into sections. The sections include the same samples that Clean Up shows as unused. I don't know why Clean Up sees them as unused, but it seems pretty clear now that it's not deleting them because they're still in use elsewhere in the song.

I'm trying Clean Up on a variety of songs. (I've been lax.) Sometimes it reduces the package size and sometimes not, regardless of the number of past edits and instrument changes. I'll give up on trying to figure out it's "thinking" and just move on. Life is short! ;)