Processing post-i/o instance

12bitcrunch

Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. This forum has helped me out many times and helped keep my relationship with Logic going after all these years. Many times have I felt like switching.

I use a couple of hardware compressors and saturators, on the drum buss and also master.

Just want to get everyone's take on these paragraphs from the latest issue of Sound on Sound. The techniques section has an article on Logic's i/o plugin:

If you add a plug‑in before the send to the I/O plug‑in on a track, a thus processed sound will be sent to your external hardware. However, if you want to process the audio after it’s travelled through the hardware, you’ll need to don a monk’s habit and enter that arcane place called Logic Pro X’s MIDI Environment...

First, send the audio from the track you want to process to the physical output your hardware is connected to, using the I/O plug‑in but with its input set to off (the ‘‑‑‑’ in the drop‑down menu). Create an audio track (stereo for a two‑channel processor, of course) and give it a useful name. Keep that track selected, and click Window / Open MIDI Environment. Find the Mixer layer and the selected audio track and then, from the Inspector’s Channel menu, change the track type to Input Track, set its inputs to the ones you’ve plugged your hardware return into, pull down its fader and leave it as ‘No output’. Back in the Mixer, you’ll now see audio running from your recorded tracks, into your hardware, back through the input track you created and then out through the stereo master, as in Screen 3. Adding plug‑ins to this new input track will allow you to process the audio after it has passed through the hardware.

Say what? I put insert fx after an i/o instance all the time. As in, on the same track. What happens to those post i/o fx? I mean, I can certainly hear them?

Glad to know it’s not just me that was confused.

Presumably this was a workflow from an old version of Logic?! That the author didn’t realise has been updated?

But the i/o plug-in hasn't changed and has always worked the same so it's never been necessary to use such a convoluted workflow: it would mean it's not an "i/o" plug-in but only an "o" plug-in??