Bouce to selected track??

Unity of Noise

OK I've searched high and low but nothing seems to work... select the track... no option. use marquee tool to select track, still no option. why when I wan to BIP a track (say my 15 channels of multi tracked drums after editing) can't I BIP a track into the same track... every time I do this that option is greyed out and im not sure what im missing. RN im bounce all the tracks to a new track while deleting the old ones and then deleting all the old channels too. not a very great workflow.

cheers

OK I've searched high and low but nothing seems to work... select the track... no option. use marquee tool to select track, still no option. why when I wan to BIP a track (say my 15 channels of multi tracked drums after editing) can't I BIP a track into the same track... every time I do this that option is greyed out and im not sure what im missing. RN im bounce all the tracks to a new track while deleting the old ones and then deleting all the old channels too. not a very great workflow.

cheers

Hi,

Are you using Control+Command B (Bounce Track) or Command B(Bounce Region)?

It is also in the File/Bounce Menu/Bounce Track in Place

1373683774_ScreenShot2021-01-08at11_34_10.thumb.png.b8e99c48f41d05bc13a7a35118483c69.png

650392210_ScreenShot2021-01-08at11_34_28.thumb.png.4bb4eac5127217f31c89d5d7cc0e6614.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm dealing with the same puzzle... how to bounce a region (not a track) in place to the same track, effectively replacing the source region. Selected Track is grayed out as a BiP destination option if the track containing the source region is selected.

(My need is to replace a region that might be represented as region pointers to some other larger audio file with a single physical audio file so I can more easily process it with Melodyne outside of LPX. I'd prefer not to 'export it as an audio file' since that introduces other complications.)

I've found a workaround which may actually be a beneficial bug:

• Have Preferences > General > Editing > Select tracks on region/marquee selection checked.
    Select some audio track not containing the source Region. (Doesn't matter which track as long as it is audio)
    Right click on the Region and select Bounce in Place.
    (You will see the track containing the source region auto-selected as a side-effect of the right click due to the preference above.)
    Now Selected Track is an available option (not grayed out). (This may be the beneficial bug.)
    Also select Source = Delete in the BiP options.

The BiP will erase the source region and replace it in place on the same track (with a single physical audio file).

This will not work if Preferences > General > Editing > Select tracks on region/marquee selection is unchecked.

If there's a more efficient or mainstream way to do this, I'd also be interested in knowing.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm dealing with the same puzzle... how to bounce a region (not a track) in place to the same track, effectively replacing the source region. Selected Track is grayed out as a BiP destination option if the track containing the source region is selected.

(My need is to replace a region that might be represented as region pointers to some other larger audio file with a single physical audio file so I can more easily process it with Melodyne outside of LPX. I'd prefer not to 'export it as an audio file' since that introduces other complications.)

• Have Preferences > General > Editing > Select tracks on region/marquee selection checked.
    Select some audio track not containing the source Region. (Doesn't matter which track as long as it is audio)
    (You will see the track containing the source region auto-selected as a side-effect of the right click due to the preference above.)
    Now Selected Track is an available option (not grayed out). (This may be the beneficial bug.)

The BiP will erase the source region and replace it in place on the same track (with a single physical audio file).

This will not work if Preferences > General > Editing > Select tracks on region/marquee selection is unchecked.

If there's a more efficient or mainstream way to do this, I'd also be interested in knowing.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the scenario, but this seems like an easy one. With plugin and volume info bypassed; Just bounce (your selected region) in place to new track without muting the source, and then simply insert your new "bip" file on the (old) source track, then just delete destination track. Hope this is what you're (both) looking for.

I wonder if Selection-based Processing will do what you need? Select a region. Selection-based processing. Click the Apply button. You wind up with a new audio file in the project browser, and the region is right there in place on your track.

Don't enable any plug-ins so you get unprocessed audio.

You will have to select the audio file in the Project Audio File browser.

The audio file is named for the region, so name your region to get a different file name.

You can process multiple regions at the same time.

When I open the smaller file in my external editor (RX) I am only dealing with that small bit of audio.

I wonder if Selection-based Processing will do what you need? ...

Very nice! I was not aware of that function... it looks like it will indeed be a fast way to generate a physical audio file compliant with region boundaries in place (particularly since by default I won't have any plug-ins selected for the Selection Based Processing).

Great for my use case, though perhaps for the OP's case, the channel strip would need to be selected in the popup presuming the goal is BIP with channel strip processing active.

It's a bug...

Thanks for the confirmation David, and I presume you mean the inability to select Selected Track for the bounce in place if the selected track is the track containing the source region.

Anyway, I've got a couple of good workarounds (and indeed have learned to avoid a start marker < 1 1 1 1, so I'll avoid that workaround!).

• 8 months later...

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the scenario, but this seems like an easy one. With plugin and volume info bypassed; Just bounce (your selected region) in place to new track without muting the source, and then simply insert your new "bip" file on the (old) source track, then just delete destination track. Hope this is what you're (both) looking for.

I completely forgot I even posted this. what im after is the fact that I don't want to have to bounce tacks into new tracks and thus have to delete the ones I was just working on... lets give you a scenario.

1. I track 14 channels of multi tracked drums

2. edit adn clean up all drums together (quantize lock etc)

3. remove drums from group so I can individually select each track.

4. (this is where the problems lies) I bounce each track separately but I can't simply bounce them into the same track I was already working on. So if im work on "Snare Top" for instance I would like to bounce it IN PLACE so I doesn't create a new track. the issue is after doing this 14 times I then have to go though, select and delete 14 tracks that im now NOT using because the BIP option has moved said tracks to a NEW track... its an additional step in my workflow that really at the end of the day is just annoying.

trying to figure out if im missing a setting or something I need to check in order to make this happen.

thanks

• 1 year later...

It's infuriating that Apple still have not fixed this bug. I have been unable to use Bounce In Place to Selected Track, ever, when wanting to bounce over the existing region clip... and then suddenly it was working just fine for me. It made my audio folder cleanup process a LOT easier (I'm stripping silence between  audio on a whole track), and then it stopped working again, and "selected track" is greyed out once more.

Edited by dysamoria
Clean up wording

14 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

It works as expected here in Logic Pro 10.7.7. Are you trying to bounce an audio region that resides on an audio track? 

Sorry, I am bouncing back and forth between Logic 10.4.8 and 10.7.7 because I'm moving projects to a new machine and that means also rendering to audio a bunch of tracks that were made with non-supported plugins (RIP, Tassman 4). If this bug is fixed in 10.7.7, then that's great, but I am also working on a project file on the older machine, in the older Logic, through screen sharing. I was surprise to see it working in 10.4.8 minutes ago (and again just now). Once a new track is there, if I select it, then right-click on the region I want to BIP, it selects the track where that clip resides, and DOES let me BIP over the original. It's so erratic. EDIT: Even that technique just failed. This is an insane bug. EDIT 2: It also does not remember the chosen setting for this control.

Context: Audio track to audio track. Wanting to bounce clips in place, over the original clips, so that Logic creates a new audio file for each clip. I am stripping lots of dead air out of a track that I don't want wasting space (I rendered a soft synth track to audio because it can't run on Monterey, which is why I'm using the other machine to bounce things and therefore also using the older version).

Using the project media browser's "Optimize File(s)" function only works at the start and end of an audio file. Breaking a full track of audio into multiple clips doesn't affect the audio file on disk. I have to bounce each clip to a new audio file to have ONLY the parts with actual audio in them. Unless there's another technique I'm unaware of.

Edited by dysamoria
More info

I know that this bug was fixed recently, not sure if that was in 10.7.7 or before but it now works as expected. 

Meanwhile in older Logic versions where this didn't work I remember that if you moved the project start marker away from its default 1 1 1 1 position (which I usually recommend against because it comes with its own series of unexpected behaviors), then you could bounce in place on the selected track. 

• Like 1